Do you want to build a positive, respectful classroom community at the beginning of the school year? Do you want to encourage kindness and good character all year long? These original poems will help you do just that when you include them in your Poem of the Week program or class meeting!
Poems of the week can be a powerful shared reading tool to teach a variety of concepts. I wrote these poems with a focus on building classroom community, demonstrating good character, and solving common behavior problems. The poems invite discussion and promote a positive classroom environment.
As part of a Poem of the Week program, the poems can also be used as the basis for lessons in comprehension, fluency, phonemic awareness, phonics, and vocabulary.
The following original poems are included (topics are noted in parentheses):
* A Kind and Caring Classroom (building community)
* Friends (friendship)
* How Would You Feel (teasing/bullying)
* I Can Use My Words (using words to solve problems)
* Tattle or Tell? (tattling)
* Courage Is... (showing courage)
* Sticks and Stones (name-calling)
* The Garden of Trust (honesty)
* Respect (ways to show respect)
* What Really Counts (respecting differences)
* A Good Citizen (citizenship)
* Oh, No! (responsibility)
* My Friend is Doing Wrong (peer pressure)
* The New Kid (welcoming a new classmate, empathy)
I've also included these resources:
* Suggestions for implementing a Poem of the Week in your classroom.
* Suggestions for using "A Kind and Caring Classroom"
* General Directions for Using the Poems
* Suggestions for using "A Good Citizen"
* WOW! Thanks for being a good citizen! cards
This Packet is included in:
Poem of the Week BUNDLE
If you enjoy using poetry in your teaching you may also like
Science Poems and Activities for Primary Grades
Patriotic Poems and Activities for Primary Grades
Fall Poems and Activities
Growth Mindset Poems
To find out more about using a Poem of the Week program in your classroom, visit my blog, Theresa's Teaching Tidbits.
Encourage acts of kindness in your classroom with this freebie:
Hearts Full of Kindness
Don't forget to follow my store by clicking the green star to receive information about new products and sales!