This unit study is common core aligned and a great resource to help your students to really explore a main character deeply by following the character's journey throughout the book. They can be used with ANY FICTION BOOK!
Included in the student character study packet are graphic organizers on the following topics:
Getting to Know a Character
- Students will fill out a web with what they find out about the character as they read.
Physical Traits vs Personality Traits
- A look at the difference between what we see on the outside and how the character behaves
Inferring Character Traits
- Students will be asked to infer a character trait based on the way a character acts, thinks, feels and says.
Emotions vs. Character Trait
- Discusses the difference between character traits and emotions
Character's Motivation and Traits
- Character traits will be identified by looking at how a character acted and their motivation for acting that way.
Character's Face Problems
- This graphic organizer helps students to see how characters face problems and what the reader can learn from how they react to their problems.
- A look at the other characters in the story and their relationship with the main character.
- Readers will identify how two characters are alike and different
A Character's Journey Up and Down a Story Mountain
- The major events of the story can be recorded on this graphic organizer story mountain.
- Students will identify how the main character changes from the beginning of the story to the end.
Character's Learn Lessons
- After the story is finished, students will reflect on the lesson the character learned.
Check out our best sellers:
Biography Research Writing UnitFolktales, Fables and Myths: Traditional Literature Unit