This is a set of 5 graphic organizers that are perfect to push students' thinking as they begin a character study in grades kindergarten, first, second or third. When I introduce a character study, I always explain to my class that they are going to read like detectives, so I chose little detective clip art for this package. I teach a lot of inferring skills during character studies.
These would be a great way to quickly assess students' comprehension skills, differentiate instruction during whole class lessons or guided reading, or hold students accountable for reading homework.
There is no right or wrong way to use these organizers, but here is what I had in mind when I created them:
- inferring characters' thinking
- noticing changes in characters (2 differentiated choices)
- making inferences based on characters' actions
- growing ideas/making connections based on characters' actions
- writing response (front and back)