Teaching story elements in kindergarten can be so easy and fun! I put together this very simple, easy, and fun mini-unit on characters in literature. This unit allows you to introduce "what a character is," as well as go in depth as far as you would like.
I started the unit with posters and simple stories (The Three Little Pigs, Itsy Bitsy Spider, and Humpty Dumpty). These stories are well-known, so students do not have to learn BOTH the stories and the characters all at the same time. It is a great way to scaffold and allow the students to become engaged and promote discussions to draw on previous knowledge.
This is what else is included:
- Posters showing the characters
- Printables for students to draw, label, and diagram characters
- Printable to tally number of times each character (from any book) is shown - to determine main character
- Ideas for modeling
- And a few examples of what it may look like, with Humpty Dumpty.
- Also, there is a printable to allow students to decide their favorite character (I love response to literature)!
Please check out the preview. I will be making these for the other story elements as well.