Character trait vocabulary instruction is a super easy way to incorporate word learning into your everyday classroom routine. Whether you are discussing characters in the books you are reading, in the stories you are writing or the conversations you are having about classroom etiquette and manners, character trait vocabulary comes up a lot more than you think.
This entire resource is fully themed around the character trait vocabulary word: optimistic. A few of the activities do include understanding the meaning of the synonyms for this word as well (cheerful, hopeful, joyful, positive, idealistic, bright, happy and confident).
My style of teaching vocabulary is to focus on quality of understanding, not quantity of words taught. This resource is part of a set that focuses on the 'Character Trait of the Week.' The idea is that as a class we learn a new trait early in the week and each day following students complete an activity themed around this word.
All 5 activities included are themed around the same one vocabulary word, in hopes that by the end of the week, students have developed a deep understanding of this word. The last activity of the week asks students to write a story themed around the word. At the end of the month, we review all of the character trait words that we learned, and take an end of month assessment (soon to be included in my TPT store!).
More details about the resource:
- It is fully digital and will download as a Google Slideshow (great for assigning via Google Classroom!)
- All text boxes and activity instructions are editable
- Slides for instruction, partner work and independent practice are included
The full slide deck includes:
- Character Trait Vocabulary Word Introduction
- Word Introduction Video: including definition, examples and visual representations
- Frayer Model Activity
- Think-Pair-Share Activity
- Word Castles Activity
- Compare & Contrast Activity
- Creative Story Activity
Check out additional Character Trait Vocabulary Activities from my TPT Shop: