Character Traits | Character Traits Passage | Reading Comprehension 3rd Grade
Engage your 3rd graders with this character traits reading passage that helps them learn how a character's traits, motivations, and feelings contribute to the sequence of events in a story. Students will practice this standard by using close reading strategies to read an engaging character traits passage, complete the sequence graphic organizer, and comprehension questions using text evidence.
This print-and-go packet is full of character traits activities, including helpful anchor charts for a 2-3 day lesson, and will make teaching this standard so quick and easy! I love to use this for a 3 day guided reading lesson on character in a story (traits, feelings, actions) and how they contribute to the sequence of events.
Also included is a figurative language activity!
★PLEASE SEE THE PREVIEW FOR A CLOSER LOOK!★
Included in this CHARACTER TRAITS packet:
- Jared's Giant Reading Passage: This engaging story will be fun for your 3rd graders to read while identifying the character traits, motivations, and feelings and how they contribute to the sequence of events in this story.
- 1st Read Note Page: Immediately after the first reading, your students can note key details from the story that will help them as they comprehend the story.
- Text-Dependent Comprehension Questions: After the 2nd reading, students are ready to respond to these comprehension questions that lead them to identify the character traits of the main character.
- Sequence Graphic Organizer: Using this graphic organizer will help students organize the main events of the story.
- Character Traits Anchor Chart: Teaching character traits starts with an anchor chart that help students learn what to look for in the story.
- Character Contribution Steps Anchor Chart: These detailed steps will help students as they are working through this activity.
- Figurative Language Activity: Students will be able to practice figurative language skills in the story's context.
- Answer Key: Quick and easy for you to check student answers
- Easel™ Ready Activity
Use this Character Traits Reading Comprehension resource for:
✔ Whole Group Reading Instruction: Introduce character traits in your whole group lessons
✔ Guided Reading Groups: Use this reading resource as a focus text for your reading groups.
✔ Homework: Send home as a practice activity
✔ Bellwork: Use as a bellringer for extra reading comprehension practice
✔ Literacy Centers: Students can practice looking for character traits, motivations, and feelings in this story as a literacy center activity.
Common Core Standards Addressed in this Resource:
RL.3.1 - Ask and answer questions to demonstrate understanding of a text, referring explicitly to the text as the basis for the answers.
RL.3.3 - Describe characters in a story (e.g., their traits, motivations, or feelings) and explain how their actions contribute to the sequence of events
L.3.5 - Demonstrate understanding of figurative language, word relationships and nuances in word meanings.
➩ MORE READING RESOURCES
➩ NEED CHARACTER TRAITS FOR 4TH GRADE?
Character Traits | Character Traits Passage - 4th Grade
"Don't forget to leave feedback -you will receive TPT credits that you can use toward future purchases!
Thank you for visiting Teaching in the Heart of Florida!