Character Traits Essay – Informative Writing - Here’s a literary essay made easy and ready to use with ANY text! This step-by-step resource is designed to lead your students with models and supports through the entire process of writing a character analysis essay.
Easy-to-follow templates guide students in drafting all four paragraphs! Includes a model essay, motivating pre-writing activities, rubric, and character traits list. CCSS-aligned with differentiation.
This Product Contains:
1. CHARACTER TRAITS ACTIVITIES – These motivating pages give students practice with character traits. Includes word box and picture prompt activities, plus a character traits list
2. CHARACTER TRAITS ESSAY – The assignment page where students brainstorm and choose the character and traits they will use for their essay
3. ESSAY GRAPHIC ORGANIZER – Students record their traits and evidence on this clear and attractive organizer.
4. WRITING THE INTRODUCTION – A page that contains a fill-in template (with sentence-by-sentence instructions) for drafting the entire introduction
5. WRITING BODY PARAGRAPHS – Two pages that contain fill-in templates (with sentence-by-sentence instructions) guide students as they write their two body paragraphs
6. WRITING THE CONCLUSION – A fill-in template (with sentence-by-sentence instructions) guides students as they write a concluding paragraph
7. REVISING AND EDITING CHECKLIST – Students evaluate to what extent they have revised and edited their essays on a task-specific chart, with a peer exchange option.
8. MENTOR TEXT – A sample Character Traits Essay entitled “Grandma’s Unique Qualities” (based on the novel A Long Way From Chicago) demonstrates format, content, and writing expectations as a model for student writing.
9. ADDING QUOTATIONS – As an option/or for differentiation, two pages that demonstrate and allow for students to add quotations to their essay is provided. An Amended Mentor Text is also included with the addition of two embedded text quotations.
10. GRADING RUBRIC - A 4-point rubric is included for grading the essays
11. TEACHER GUIDELINES AND COMMON CORE STANDARDS – Detailed, step-by-step guidelines for using this resource along with Common Core standards and differentiation
You will love the organization of this resource and the “scaffolds” that help all levels of students achieve positive results. The fun pre-writing activities initiate student engagement!
Please open the PREVIEW to get a closer look.
You might also like these Common Core-aligned products:
Task Cards for Better Writing: BUNDLE
Figurative Language Stations - Common Core
Literature Stations with Task Cards for ANY Novel Drama or Story - Common Core