This packet includes activitites for student to think deeper about the characters about which the read.
- Understanding Characters Minibook (analyzing what characters think, say and do)
- Understanding Characters Minibook Cover
- Character Puppet- Add popsicle sticks for students to create character puppets
- Inferring a character's thoughts/ feelings sheet
- Inferring 2 characters' dialogue based on events in a story sheet
- Character Sticks- Read "The character is thinking" on one side and "The character is saying" on the other.- Cards are to be cut out, folded in half and glued to popsicle stick. Serve as a visual reminder to analyze the character as they read.
** Students enjoy these activities because they are able to add illustrations to enhance understanding. Great way of differentiation for visual learners.
Additional actitivities I have used with these sheets incude:
- Summarzing events of a story by recording character's words or dialogue.
- Design and create character puppets
- Act out parts of story with puppets
- Students can create an interview they would have with a character with questions they'd ask the charcter and hypothetical character responses.
- Students can record their own thoughts based on events of story
- Students can respond to nonfiction texts by recording their thoughts, feeling, and questions.
- Students can create dialogue they would have with another person about nonfiction text.