Also included in
- As elementary music teachers, we often joke about being stuck in "sol-mi" land. As much as we joke... sol-mi (and subsequently sol-la-mi) do take up a large part of our school days.This product includes all of the songs, flashcards, and games that I use to teach sol-mi and sol-la-mi to kindergarten,Price $40.00Original Price $54.00Save $14.00
One of my students' favorite singing games is Charlie Over the Ocean. They get to sing, play, improvise, and practice sol-la-mi patterns! I also love it because it gives me a chance to grade students' solo singing.
You can use this lesson with any grade, but I prefer to use this lesson with second and third graders.
This lesson includes a PDF version of a PowerPoint that shows words, rhythm, beat charts (this one is in 6/8!) in projectable and printable versions, and directions. As always, all rhythmic slides are available in regular notation and stick notation. There are also melody cards where students can practice sol-la-mi patterns. These are available with just letters, staff and letters to help, and staff pitches by themselves. It also contains directions to the game to help explain it to kids!
My students are using this lesson to practice sol-la-mi patterns. After learning the song, we pull out a card with an ocean animal on it. We insert that animal name where "blackbird" is in the song. At the end of the song, we practice the melody that is on that card.
If you are working on rhythm, you could pair this with myOcean Animals Rhythm Cards in Spanish and English instead of the included melody cards to practice rhythm while still doing the activity. Only $2!
This product is a zip file that includes one PDF with the melody cards and one PDF with the PowerPoint with projectable words, rhythms, directions, beat charts, etc.
- Word slide
- Words with heartbeat slides
- Words with regular notation rhythm
- Words with stick notation rhythm
- Slides with instructions (to make teaching a breeze!)
- Beat chart with heartbeats (printable version too!)
- Beat chart with fish as symbols (printable version too!)
- Melody cards with letters (s, m, and l) and animals for improvisation
- Melody cards with notes on staff and letters and an animal for improvisation
- Melody cards with notes on the staff and an animal for improvisation
You may also like:
Join my free resource library to get exclusive FREE content!
Let's be friends!
Blog: Becca's Music Room