Also included in
- Use this YEAR LONG BUNDLE of PRINT & GO math enrichment activities to challenge your high flying 2nd and 3rd grade students with advanced math problem solving fun ALL YEAR LONG. A Year of Math Challenges & Brain Teasers includes every math challenge and brain teaser pack in the store and is$89.00$119.50Save $30.50
Send these PRINT & GO math worksheets with Willy Wonka and candy themes home in distance learning packets to engage 2nd and 3rd grade students with sweet math problem solving FUN! These differentiated Charlie and the Chocolate Factory math challenges & brain teasers have engaging candy themes students love, and are a perfect way to extend and enrich your second and third grade mathematicians' learning.
The Wonka Math Challenge and Brainteaser Pack includes 42 NO PREP math printables with answer keys you can use for second and third grade distance learning, home learning packets, math centers, homework worksheets, early finishers, number talks, math enrichment contracts, small groups, whole class problem solving, or to integrate math with a Charlie and the Chocolate Factory novel study.
This set of math activities includes similar problems at a variety of levels so this pack can be used with your entire class, not just your strongest mathematicians.
Recommended for differentiated work in 2nd and 3rd grade classrooms
4th grade is listed as a recommended grade on this product because these activities include challenging options and address above grade level Common Core Standards.
Included in this pack:
18 Math Challenges
- Charlie’s Candy Combinations #1 (Combinations of 2, organizing data, easier)
- Charlie’s Candy Combinations #2 (Combinations of 2, organizing data, more difficult)
- Squirrel Strength #1 (Converting ounces to pounds, division without remainders, easier)
- Squirrel Strength #2 (Converting ounces to pounds, division without remainders, more difficult)
- Gum Supply #1 (Calendar math, division without remainders, easier)
- Gum Supply #2 (Calendar math, division with remainders, more difficult)
- Teavee Addict #1 (Converting minutes to hours, multiplication, easier)
- Teavee Addict #2 (Converting hours to days, multiplication and division, more difficult)
- The Conveyer Belt #1 (Converting seconds to minutes, multiplication, easier)
- The Conveyer Belt #2 (Converting seconds, minutes, and hours, multiplication, more difficult)
- Golden Ticket Time #1 (Converting seconds to hours, multiplication, easier)
- Golden Ticket Time #2 (Converting seconds to hours, multiplication, more difficult)
- Fizzy Lifting Drinks #1 (Capacity conversions ounces to gallons, easier)
- Fizzy Lifting Drinks #2 (Capacity conversions ounces to gallons, more difficult)
- The Chocolate Room (2-digit addition, logical thinking, guess and check, organizing data)
- Wonka Map (Perimeter and area, logical thinking)
- Oompa Loompa Output (Logical thinking, adding and subtracting 1 and 2-digit numbers)
- The Great Glass Elevator (Doubling numbers, adding 1, 2, and 3-digit numbers)
All math challenges come with a lined page for written responses focused on strategies students used to solve the problem
- Candy Kids (Logical thinking, guess and check, addition to 100)
- Lakeside Seating (Logical thinking, guess and check)
- Caramel Packaging #1 (Place value with ones and tens, easier)
- Caramel Packaging #2 (Place value with ones, tens, and hundreds, more difficult)
- Caramel Packaging #3 (Place value with ones, tens, hundreds, and thousands, most difficult)
- Candy Calculators #1 (In/Out tables, addition and subtraction)
- Candy Calculators #2 (In/Out tables, multiplication and division)
- Candy Calculators #3 (In/Out tables, all operations)
- Candy Store Cost #1 (Adding coins and bills to $5.00)
- Candy Store Cost #2 (Adding coins and bills to $10.00)
- Cookie Puzzler #1 (Spatial reasoning, guess and check, easier)
- Cookie Puzzler #2 (Spatial reasoning, guess and check, easier)
- Cookie Puzzler #3 (Spatial reasoning, guess and check, difficult)
Cookie Puzzler problems come in color, and black & white versions
- Oompa Loompa Equations #1 (Addition and subtraction to 20, balancing equations)
- Oompa Loompa Equations #2 (Addition and subtraction to 100, balancing equations)
- Sugary Sentences #1 (Multiplication with factors to 12, balancing equations)
- Sugary Sentences #2 (Division with divisors to 12, balancing equations)
- Sugary Sentences #3 (Mixed operations with missing numbers, balancing equations)
- BARS #1 Logic Puzzle (Logical thinking, guess and check, easier)
- BARS #2 Logic Puzzle (Logical thinking, guess and check, easier)
- GOLDen Ticket Logic Puzzle (Logical thinking, guess and check, easier)
- WONKAS Logic Puzzle (Logical thinking, guess and check, more difficult)
- GOLDEN Logic Puzzle (Logical thinking, guess and check, more difficult)
- GOLDENTIX Logic Puzzle (Logical thinking, guess and check, most difficult)
- Student resource page with common conversions and extra info students might need to help solve these problems. Perfect to use for homework or centers!
- Answer keys for every problem
Check out the preview to see all challenges, brainteasers, and answer keys.
Have a fab day Super Teacher!
Sign up for the Super Teacher e-mail list and be the first to know about exclusive freebies, new products, and get super teacher tips and tricks for your teacher toolbox delivered right to your inbox!
If you'd like to try out three Wonka math printables for FREE, check out my Wonka Math Printables Freebie here.
This set of math activities was originally created to integrate math with a classroom WONKA Week. To see pictures of Wonka Week in my classroom, check out the Wonka Week blog post here.
If you like this product you might also like
Here are a few ideas for how you might use these challenges and brainteasers in your own classroom:
*Use these as extension activities for math contracts. Make a pack of challenge problems for advanced students to use as a fast finisher or during certain in-class math lessons when they’ve already mastered the material. You can read more about this strategy and receive a free editable math contract at my blog HERE.
*Use a challenge or brainteaser as a homework option for students who need a challenge, or let them replace a simple homework assignment with the challenge to show parents how well you’re differentiating.
*Use a math challenge or brainteaser as a “number talk” problem to start out your daily math class. Work through it as a class or let students work in partners or small groups to talk through it and solve it together.
*Give a challenge or brainteaser to a small group of students as one of their independent math workshop rotations or use them with your advanced small math group rotation.
*Use the problems as an independent practice activity during a unit on problem solving strategies (guess and check, work backwards, etc.) or attacking a multi-step problem.
*Keep a stack of challenge problems in your classroom fast finisher area for any student who wants a challenge.
*Choose one or two challenge problems for the month and reward any student who can solve both. You can put these on a bulletin board or have them available as additional incentives.
*Use the challenges as a way to integrate math into your WONKA Week.
Become a follower and be the first to know about new Super Teacher freebies and product launches. It's Easy!
Click HERE to become a follower. You will then receive customized email updates from TpT when I upload new products to my store. I typically give a 20% discount on all new products for the first 48 hours, so please follow and get in on the discounted fun. Nothing’s better than saving some moolah!
Get TPT credit to use on future purchases. It's FREE!
Go to your “My Purchases” page (you may need to login). Beside each purchase you'll see a blinking “Provide Feedback” option. Simply click it and you will be taken to a page where you can give a quick rating and leave a short comment for the product. I love reading your comments and value your feedback greatly as it helps me determine which products are most valuable for your classroom so I can create more for you!