This interactive math activity helps students solve real world story problems using addition and subtraction skills with money. Many of my students struggle to decode and conceptualize word problems, especially when it has to do with money. This activity simulates real world scenarios with differentiated activities for learners of varying abilities.
THREE activities are included in this packet:
* Charlie's Sandwich Shop Menu Story Problems - your students will solve story problems based on the menu at Charlie's Sandwich Shop. Print the menu poster size or project on a document camera or SmartBoard to feel like you're really at the shop! Several open-ended questions challenge your students to find multiple answers and use multiple strategies. Great for discussion and test prep!
* Charlie's Sandwich Shop Profit Story Problems - multi-step story problems can be challenging! Using Charlie's menu and cost list, two multi-step problems have students thinking critically throughout the problem solving activity.
* Design Your Own Sandwich Shop Menu Activity - what could be a better way for students to get hands-on math experience than by designing their own menu? Students can work in groups, pairs, or independently to create a "meal deals" menu, figure out their prices, figure out cost the meal, and their profit.
BONUS additional activity: Create Your Own Story Problems! template - access students' higher level thinking skills by having them create story problems based on Charlie's Sandwich Shop or their own.
This is an activity I regularly do with my own students that helps uncover the depth of their understanding and allows for creative and fun math learning!
Included in this packet:
- Activities summary along with tips and ideas for extension
- Common Core Standards alignment
- Charlie's Sandwich Shop Menu and Price List
- Charlie's Sandwich Shop Menu activity, 3 pages: 6 multi-step word problems
- Charlie's Sandwich Shop Profit activity, 2 pages: 2 multi-step problems
- Design Your Own Sandwich shop activity, 6 pages: directions sheet, menu and cost templates, 1 worksheet to analyze menu, 2 page multi-step problem worksheet
- BONUS Create Your Own Story Problem template/worksheet