This is a novel unit for the book "Charlotte’s Web" by E.B. White. For each set of chapters, students will complete 4 comprehension questions, 4 vocabulary words, and 1 activity which incorporates reading strategies and writing. The file also includes a folder cover, student bookmarks, a story elements page, a book/movie comparison sheet (for both versions of the film), an epilogue writing activity, and a suggested grading rubric.
The book is divided into 11 sections. One page has the questions and vocabulary, and the activity is on the back. Activities are as follows:
1. Chapters 1-2: All About Fern (Character Traits)
2. Chapters 3-4: All About Wilbur (Character Traits)
3. Chapters 5-6: All About Charlotte (Character Traits)
4. Chapters 7-8: It’s a Plan (Response to Text)
5. Chapters 9-10: Find It! (Word Search)
6. Chapters 11-12: Be a Reporter (Newspaper Article Writing)
7. Chapters 13-14: Awesome Adjectives (Adjectives/Character Traits)
8. Chapters 15-16: All About Templeton (Character Traits)
9. Chapters 17-18: Make a Connection (Writing Response)
10. Chapters 19-20: And the Winner Is… (Poetry Writing)
11. Chapters 21-22: And Then… (Plot/Sequencing)
This unit gives you lots of flexibility. I have used it with 3rd graders. Below are some suggestions for use:
*Print it all out and staple it into a folder for each student with the cover on front.
*It can be modified for slower workers or students that are pulled for part of the day by giving them just the question page or just the activity each day.
*Allow students who have finished all of the work to watch the movie after you complete the book. There is a venn diagram to compare/contrast the book and movie included in this packet.
*This can be completed in about 2 weeks. I generally take a few "catch-up" days and stretch it out to 3 weeks.
Enjoy your adventures on the Zuckerman Farm!