Charlotte’s Web, by E.B. White, book companion. This resource uses a reading workshop approach to teach 16 different ELA mini-lessons, which are listed below.
This unit includes a detailed, scripted lesson which includes the following: make a connection, teaching point/explicit instruction, active engagement/guided practice, link to independent reading, closing/sharing.
There are colorful anchor charts to use as a display and reading response graphic organizers for each lesson.
The common core correlation is explicitly stated in this resource, for grades 2-4.
The following “I can” statements are addressed in this unit’s anchor charts and reading response graphic organizers:
1. I can use metacognition reading strategies to aid my understanding of the Charlotte’s Web.
2. I can identify a cause and effect relationship with Wilbur in Charlotte’s Web.
3. I can identify the main character in the story and explain how he/she grows and changes..
5. I can identify the point of view of Charlotte’s Web.
6. I can identify the author’s purpose of Charlotte’s Web.
7. I can ask and answer questions to demonstrate understanding of a text, referring explicitly to the text as the basis for the answer.
9. I can identify the genre for Charlotte’s Web and support my thinking by using evidence from the text.
10. I can identify the theme of Charlotte’s Web, using the text for support.
11. I can identify how the author used an example of foreshadowing and use the text to support my answer.
12. I can identify the character traits of Wilbur and Charlotte.
13. I can infer specific character traits about Wilbur and Charlotte. I can use clues about the character’s actions, words, and feelings to make an inference.
14. I can identify and define unfamiliar words as I read Charlotte’s Web.
15. I can compare the book of Charlotte’s web to the movie and write my opinion about what is the best.
16.I can retell the story of Charlotte’s Web, using details from the text.
This unit ends with a one of a kind reading celebration- A Charlotte’s Web party! This part of the file gives you ideas and colorful printables for you to use for your Charlotte’s Web Party. LOTS of pictures are included!
This unit will complement your reading workshop or even a basal reading program. All you will need is a copy of the mentor text, Charlotte’s Web, by E.B. White...which is probably already on your bookshelf right now! :)
***** Important- Please Read *****
This unit is part of a reading workshop BUNDLE. Save BIG by purchasing the bundle. If you are interested in purchasing this file as part of the BUNDLE, please view what is included:
Reading Workshop Bundle
Reading Workshop GROWING Bundle
Unit 1, Implementing Reading Workshop in your Primary Classroom
Implementing Reading Workshop in Your Primary Classroom
Unit 2, Reading Workshop: Reading is Thinking
Reading is Thinking
Unit 3, Mentor Text: A Bad Case of Stripes
A Bad Case of Stripes
Unit 4, Mentor Text: Gingerbread Man Loose in the School
Gingerbread Man Loose in the School
Unit 5, Non-Fiction Text Features
I Spy Non Fiction Text Features
Unit 6, Charlotte’s Web
Other Must-Have Reading Workshop Materials that are included in the BUNDLE:
Classroom Library Kit
Classroom Library Kit
Reading Workshop Book Awards Celebration
Reading Workshop Book Awards Celebration k