Are your students learning about digraphs? They will love this game!
Students are required to display their knowledge of digraphs with the goal of winning the race against the chicken! This game allows students to display independent work skills as well as play as a team to achieve the end goal.
Here's the INSTRUCTIONS for putting the game together:
- Print of one copy of each page.
- The black and white chicken grid stays as one piece as a ‘board’ and students use the digraph pages as their game board.
CUT UP the following pages to make ‘cards’ for the game:
- Coloured chicken grid to create puzzle ‘pieces of the chicken’.
- Desired picture cards (with or without words – whatever you would like your players to play with).
This game is for 2 – 6 players and should be played either sitting in a circle on the floor or at a table.
1. Place all cards in the middle of the circle. This pile should include picture/word or plain picture cards AND the colour ‘pieces of the chicken’ picture. Make sure the pile is shuffled.
2. Each player gets a digraph board.
3. The black and white chicken picture is placed in the middle of the circle with the cards.
4. Players take turns to draw a card from the top of the pile. If the card matches a digraph on their board, they place it on top of the matching digraph, for example, if a player draws the ‘cheese’ they put it on top of the ‘ch’. If it does not match any on their board, they give it to another player who has a matching digraph on their board. If a player draws a piece of the chicken, they place it on the black and white chicken picture. The aim of the game is for the players to fill up their board before the picture of the chicken is filled.
To play with six players, one player is designated to be the ‘chicken’ and aims to beat the other player.
This resource includes:
- An instructions and rules page
- 5 game boards
- 6 pages of coloured digraph pictures with words (32 cards when cut)
- 6 pages of black and white digraph pictures with words (32 cards when cut)
- 6 pages of coloured digraph pictures WITHOUT words (32 cards when cut)
- 6 pages of black and white digraph pictures WITHOUT words (32 cards when cut)
- 2 'chicken' game boards (one colour and one black and white)
- 1 chicken picture to be cut into cards (6 cards when cut)
Included digraphs and pictures are:
CH - chair, chase, cheese, cherries, chicken, chimp, chips, chop, chipmunk
SH - shovel, shout, shirt, ship, shoe, shell, sheep, shark
TH - thermometer, think, throw, three, thumb, thorn, thunder
WH - whisker, whisk, whale, wheelbarrow, wheel, whisper
**SAVE ON YOUR TPT PURCHASES**
Don’t forget to provide feedback on this product to earn TpT credits that you can use to lower the cost of future purchases!
to browse more Reading Centre Activities.
*** I would really appreciate positive feedback via the TpT site but would also love to hear any improvements or edits you think would make this resource even more classroom friendly. Please don't hesitate to contact me via my email: email@example.com***