Compressed Zip File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing. How to unzip files.
1.65 MB | 50 pages
Checkouts by Cynthia Rylant Short Story Activity Bundle
This is a very comprehensive bundle with 50 pages of instructional resources and activities related to the short story, Checkouts by Cynthia Rylant. This unit was designed to give the teacher choice. I don’t expect that you will be able to use everything. These include,
1) A Scavenger Hunts for Information
This is a two 27 question active reading scavenger hunt where students actively hunt for information and analyze the text while they read the story. It also engages the students by enhancing enjoyment, and understanding. It focuses on important events and twists in plot, vocabulary, and conflicts and also highlight important literary devices like irony and figurative language found in the story. It is always a hit with my high school kids. Answer sheets are included. I have also provided Word and PDF versions of these activities.
2) A Word Detective/Word Attack vocabulary activity.
This is a Word Detective-Word Attack and close reading Vocabulary Activity. Your students act as vocabulary detectives and use their word attack skills to determine the meaning of each new word in context. First students read actual passages and dialogues from the story and use contextual clues to determine the meaning and part of speech of each new word. They must provide at least one synonym for each new word. Then they use a thesaurus or dictionary to check their comprehension and find more synonyms for each word. . Answer sheets as well as PDF and Word versions are included.
3) A comprehensive crossword puzzle of the story related to characters, events, vocabulary, and figurative language in the short story. I have included both the crossword weaver and PDF versions of this puzzle as well as an answer puzzle. It is very comprehensive and a great assessment activity. I have give two versions of the same puzzle to prevent copying.
4) An Elements of a Short Story Graphic Organizer: An active reading graphic organizer that helps your students identify and chart the literary elements in the novel as they read.
5) A Checkouts step-by step lesson plan.
Again I don’t think that you will find a more comprehensive and fun bundle on the Web. There are over 50 pages of activities. Also I will be adding things as the year progresses. Get it now at this price!
6) A Story Map Graphic Organizer that helps students to analyze the major conflicts and motivations in the story.
7) A Figurative Language Worksheet/Quiz with 21 examples of figurative language used in this short story. Again it can be used as either a worksheet or a quiz and is very comprehensive and contains an answer sheet with thorough explanations for each example given. This also has a bonus activity on parallel structure.
8) A graphic organizer to help your students to write a sequel to the story.
9) Other supplementary follow-up activities.
I don’t think you will find another bundle as complete as this one.
You can also access my store at