Need a fun, interactive way to teach converting improper fractions and mixed numbers? This PowerPoint has it all! There are mini lessons, sorts, matching, a whole group game, and even a mini assessment. Your students will love fractions by the end of this lesson.
Slide 1-4: Introduction/Learning Objective
Slides 5-13 Naming Improper and Mixed Numbers using models
Slide 14- Improper and Mixed Quick Sort
Slide 15- Match the model to the mixed number and its improper fraction
Slide 16-24- Minilesson: How to change an improper fraction into a mixed number
Slides 25-29- Whole Group Practice
Slides 30-40-Chef Show Down Improper to Mixed Numbers
1. Split the class into two groups. Each side will need something to write with and dark ink. Dry erase boards work best.
2. Have the teams stand in two lines back to back. But, they should still be able to see the board.
3. Show the problem. Every member on both teams solves
to find the mixed number.
4. When the teacher says so, turn around and show your work.
5. The first player to show correct work slides to the next available location. The other player stays put.
Your goal: Make it back to your seat! Think “Around the World” but everyone is playing!
Slides 41-42 Quick Note on Simplifying Mixed Numbers
Slides 43-48 Minilesson: How to change a mixed number to an improper fraction
Slides 48-61-Chef Show Down Mixed Numbers to Improper
Slides 62-63 Mini Assessment and Answer Key
Slide 64- Credits