Chemical Changes – A Fifth Grade SMARTBoard Introduction is a SMARTBoard 5th grade level instructional presentation
It includes a SMARTBoard presentation of the text along with one fully interactive presentation slide that is also available in PDF format to print and issue as classwork, homework, or attach/incorporate into an interactive notebook. Students can also complete the activity during the presentation as reinforcement for the presentation.
The presentation includes:
• Introductory terminology (reactant, product, chemical reaction, reactivity, and precipitate).
• The relationship between reactants and products in chemical reactions.
• Proof of chemical change occurring. Video clip of baking soda and vinegar.
• Reactivity of alkali metallic elements. Video clip of lithium and water.
• Reactivity of halogens. Video clip of Flourine.
• 6 Ways to know if chemical reactions have occurred (precipitates formed, gases being released, temperature change, tarnish formation, release of energy, and color changes). Video clips for each example provided.
• Respiration and photosynthesis introduced.
The last slide is white-background and used for the printable. The printable is already in PDF form in the package. The white-background page is not included in the total pages. I include it in case you would like to change any of the data and recreate the printable.
The interactive/review slide and printable:
• The interactive activity includes a labeling/matching activity where students match descriptions with vocabulary/pictures. Included vocabulary: reactant, product, chemical reaction, reactivity, and precipitate. The second part has students identifying from a list of pictures/descriptions which are chemical reactions (vs. physical).
SMARTBoard presentations require the use of Notebook Software. They are not compatible with Promethean Active Inspire software. There are free SMARTBoard viewers online, however. (http://express.smarttech.com/# is one example of many).