This lab has students observe and identify different types of chemical reactions.
I have the students predict the reactions and balance them for homework before they are able to make complete the lab.
The file includes a teacher information page and answer key, as well as, a student lab page.
Chemicals Required List: (Some of these reactions could easily be substituted for other materials- many high school chemistry labs have most of these chemicals)
• Cu (Copper Metal)
• Zn (Solid piece)
• Magnesium Strip
• Magnesium Powder/Small Peices
• AlCl3 (Aluminum Chloride)
• NaHCO3 (Sodium Bicarbonate- Baking Soda)
• CuSO4 (Liquid - Copper (II) Sulfate)
• CaCO3 (Solid Calcium Carbonate)
• AgNO3 (Silver Nitrate)
• CH3COOH (Vinegar)
• HCl (Hydrochloric Acid)
• NaOH (Sodium Hydroxide)
• pH paper