Teach a couple of freezing point depression problems then follow with application in the lab! Students are surprised to see the temperature drop while the ice melts. A great teachable moment on colligative properties.
• Measure temperature
• Determine van’t Hoff factor “I” value for rock salt
• Calculate ∆T
• Calculate molality using ∆Tf = kf x m x i
• Student Lab Sheet
• Student Lab Make-up Sheet for Absent Students
• Student Lab Sheet with Answers in Italics
• Lab Quiz - Use as exit ticket, next day warm-up or quiz
• Lab Quiz Answer Key
• Teaching Tips and Set-up Directions
This lab is included in Teacher Friendly Chemistry Binder 2 PDF/Word.
Before purchasing consider buying the WORD and PDF:
Chemistry Lab Bundle: Teacher Friendly Chem Binder 2 PDF/ Word 29 Labs 27 Inq.
Teacher Friendly Chemistry Chapter Planning Pages