No lecture first day into Bonding 30 minute Activity! A great way to build background knowledge before a lecture. Students read background, partner share or class summarize and then go to lab area and observe compounds and elements in test tubes marking them as Ionic, Covalent or Metallic and the deciding transfer of electrons, sharing of electrons or sea of electrons. With 3 laminated sheets of information, students realize the general melting point pattern for ionic, covalent and metallic substances.
• Write down formula of substance
• Classify as Compound or Element
• Classify as Ionic, Covalent or Metallic
• Determine “transfer of e”, “share of e” or “sea of electrons”
• Student Lab Sheet
• Student Lab Make-up Sheet for Absent Students
• Student Lab Sheet with Answers in Italics
• Lab Quiz - Use as exit ticket, next day warm-up or quiz
• Lab Quiz Answer Key
• Teaching Tips and Set-up Directions
• Follow-up Problem Based Lab
This lab is included in Teacher Friendly Chemistry Binder 2 PDF/Word. Consider buying the WORD and PDF:
Chemistry Lab Bundle: Teacher Friendly Chem Binder 2 PDF/ Word 29 Labs 27 Inq.
You may also like:
Lab: Penny Alloy -Making Silver and Gold Pennies!
Activity: Hybridization and Model Building
Activity: Balloon Molecular Geometry
Lab: Ionic and Covalent Household Compounds
Teacher Friendly Chemistry Chapter Planning Pages