Students find the percent water in copper(II) sulfate pentahydrate and then use grams and moles to calculate empirical formula.
• Observe water leaving compound as steam
• Heat to constant mass
• Calculate percent water
• Re-hydrate the anhydrous compound
• Student Lab Sheet
• Student Lab Make-up Sheet for Absent Students
• Student Lab Sheet with Answers in Italics
• Lab Quiz - Use as exit ticket, next day warm-up or quiz
• Lab Quiz Answer Key
• Teaching Tips and Set-up Directions
This lab is included in Teacher Friendly Chemistry Binder 1 PDF/Word. Consider buying the WORD/ PDF:
Chemistry Lab Bundle: Teacher Friendly Chem Binder 1 PDF/Word 31 Labs 17 Inq.
You may also like:
Test Review Task Sheets - Chemical Quanties
Student Performance Assessment "Counting by Weighing"
Empirical Formula Task Sheet Activity and Lecture WS
Molecular Formula Task Sheet Activity and Lecture WS
Activity: Avogadro and The Mole Activity
Lab: Empirical Formula of a Hydrate
Teacher Friendly Chemistry Chapter Planning Pages
Copyright©Deanna York as Teacher Friendly Chemistry. This product is intended for classroom and personal use only. Posting or distributing Teacher Friendly Chemistry products for public view violates Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA).