This lab is best used in your unit on "Matter and Change" to reinforce the concepts of physical properties and intensive properties. In this experiment, the student will be given two liquids: isopropyl alcohol and an unknown. The student will determine the temperature at which they boil and identify the unknown according to its boiling point.
Purpose of the Lab:
- To determine the boiling point of isopropyl alcohol.
- To calculate the percent error between the known boiling point of isopropyl alcohol and the boiling point determined experimentally.
- To determine the identity of an unknown sample of liquid by determining its boiling point.
MATERIALS AND EQUIPMENT:
- Thermometer (-10 to 110 deg. C)
- Beral pipet (thin-stem/long)
- Rubber bands (very small)
- Beaker (250 ml)
- Bunsen burner
- Isopropyl alcohol
What is included in this product?
- lab handouts that are ready to be printed and passed out to your students.
- Complete instructions.
- 2-page Teacher Guide containing set-up instructions, tips, and suggestions.
- Complete Answer Key containing sample data, and all answers.
- Everything you need for the successful completion of this lab.
What will the students be doing?
- Students will assemble the boiling point device to determine the boiling point of isopropyl alcohol and an unknown liquid.
- By making careful observations, students will watch for and observe “rings” of condensation that rise up the tube of the pipet.
- Once these “rings” of condensation are stable, students will record the temperature at which the rings neither move up or down.
- Students will carry out three trials to get an average boiling point for each liquid.
- Students will complete 5 analysis questions.
- Students gain practice and experience in using proper lab techniques.
You will receive both an editable Word document as well as a pdf form of the lab.
Related resources include the following:
Matter and Change Bundle (Powerpoint and Notes)
Lab: Conservation of Mass
Lab: Determining Density
Test: Matter and Change
Density Practice Problems
Quiz: Matter and Density
Matter and Change Autumn Themed Color by Number Activity
Matter and Change Jeopardy Powerpoint Review Game
Atomic Structure Worksheet
Matter and Change Crossword Puzzle
Matter and Change Set of 2 Homework Assignments
Matter and Change 4 Mini Labs
Matter and Change Task Cards
Lab: The Heating Curve of Water
Lab: The Boiling Points of Liquids
Lab: The Specific Heat of a Metal
Thermochemistry Unit Test
Thermochemistry Practice Problems
Lab: The Heat of Fusion of Ice
Lab: Heat of Crystallization
For updates about sales and new products, please follow my store:
My TpT Store
I would love to have you follow me at these locations as well:
My Blog: Amy Brown Science.com
My Facebook Page