This is a test I created for my 5th grade class based on the following Core Knowledge objectives:
A. Atoms, Molecules, and Compounds
• Basics of atomic structure: nucleus, protons (positive charge), neutrons (neutral), electrons (negative charge)
• Atoms are constantly in motion, electrons move around the nucleus in paths called shells (or energy levels).
• Atoms may join together to form molecules and compounds.
• Common compounds and their formulas:
carbon dioxide CO2
• Elements have atoms of only one kind, having the same number of protons. There are a little more than 100 different elements.
• The Periodic Table: organizes elements with common properties
Atomic symbol and atomic number
• Some well-known elements and their symbols:
• Two important categories of elements: metals and non-metals
Metals comprise about ⅔ of the known elements.
Properties of metals: most are shiny, ductile, malleable, conductive
The test is made up of a vocabulary matching section, well-known elements matching section, multiple choice questions, short answer questions, as well as drawing a Bohr model of an element.
I have included a Word version as well as a PDF version of both the test and an answer key. The test is five pages. It can easily be edited!