An easy way to introduce the concept of ionic compounds formation, determining their formulae and learning the naming convention.
Suitable for grade 9-10, or use it as a quick review for senior grades.
The powerpoint format makes it easy to modify the content as you wish. It is full with custom animations to show the concepts to students clearly. Relevant educational videos are a click away. Review questions are embedded throughout the lesson to assess students' learning.
Included in this powerpoint are:
* formation of ionic compounds (why & how of ionic bond)
* properties observed with ionic compounds (ionic crystals, melting point, solubility and conductivity)
* determining formulae of ionic compounds (various examples given from simple 1:1 ratio to more complex ones)
* reducing ionic compounds to their lowest ratio
* rules for naming ionic compounds
* in-class group work for practice and to gauge students’ understanding of the topic
* custom animations for step-by-step explanations
* links to relevant educational videos on the web (internet connection required)
Lesson duration: 2 hours
Grade level: Gr. 9 or 10 (or as review for senior grades)
Tags: SNC1D, SNC2D, SNC2P, SCH3U
BONUS: After you rate this product on TPT, you can email me at firstname.lastname@example.org to get FREE practice worksheets for this topic.