Also included in
- STEM Explorers Bundle - Global Engineering ChallengesPack your bags and take your students on a voyage of STEM challenges that incorporate the engineering design process with themed activities from countries around the world. This STEM curriculum includes activities that travel to each continent and$22.40$28.00Save $5.60
- Enrich your student's summer with this growing bundle of STEM activities that are perfect for the end of the year, summer camps, or at-home learning during warm weather! STEM challenges includes: Detailed educator guide with links to resources Student recording packet for each step of the engineerin$18.40$23.00Save $4.60
Explore the largest solar power plant in the world located in Chile as you take your students on an educational adventure with this complete lesson! Read the letter from fictitious travel guides explaining the importance of clean energy and the use of solar power. Students will learn about solar cars as they use them to complete a mission! They must make their solar car navigate the mountains and ocean surrounding the solar power plant using the engineering design process. Students also learn about the STEM careers of electrical engineering and heliophysics to bring in real-world STEM connections. The included mission-related math problems extend the learning fun!
*Note, this activity requires solar cars. You can find the one's we used here (Amazon Affiliate link).
As with many STEM activities that are student-driven, this challenge can be tailored to students of various skill levels and abilities.
Included in this product:
- Detailed teachers guide with links to resources
- Grading rubric for the engineering design process
- STEM Career Connections
- Solar ball icebreaker game activity instructions
- Student handouts to guide them through the engineering design process
- Math extension problems
Required Materials for Challenge: tape, scissors, solar powered car, newspaper, cardstock, cardboard, craft sticks, pipecleaners, posterboard, and cardboard tubes or rolled up cardstock.
Looking for more STEM lessons? Find the Vivify resource guide here: bit.ly/VivifyResourceGuide
About STEM Challenges: Click here to learn more about the 3 Stages of STEM. STEM challenges are an engaging way to incorporate the engineering design process into your classroom or after school program! These hands-on activities allow students to work in teams, apply the engineering design process, and connect science topics to real-world applications. The teacher will provide the structure to the project, but students will take an active role in designing and building their own device.
• Click the Green ★ to follow our store and get notifications of new products and freebies
• Leave feedback to receive TpT credit for use on future purchases
• Questions? Contact us in the Product Q&A section
♥ Connect With Us ♥