China ABC Book with Facts & Photos about Chinese Culture, Geography, and History
Also included in
- This small bundle includes 2 China resources that you can use when teaching about Chinese culture: C is for China, an ABC book about China, and Chinese Zodiac Animals Clipart, a set of 12 pictures of the animals of the Chinese Zodiac. The China alphabet book can be used when teaching about ChinesePrice $7.20Original Price $9.00Save $1.80
- This big China bundle includes 6 resources altogether: 4 resources about China that introduce your students to Chinese culture, geography, and history while giving them reading, writing, and grammar tasks to do, 1 resource with Chinese zodiac clipart, and 1 resource with Chinese zodiac word search pPrice $22.20Original Price $27.75Save $5.55
- Help your students develop their reading and writing skills as they learn about Chinese history and society from ancient times to the modern era with the 4 resources included in this bundle:* Students read about Chinese dynasties, famous emperors and philosophers; about Chinese history, geography, aPrice $16.00Original Price $20.00Save $4.00
Use this China picture book, organized in ABC format, to teach about Chinese culture, the geography of China, and Chinese history. Each page of this informational text contains 1 letter of the alphabet and a word connected to China that begins with that letter. Written in easy-to-understand paragraphs, every word is also illustrated with at least 1 photograph. Your students will learn about 26 different topics when they read the entire book!
✓ Please Note:
* You can download a free sampler of this resource HERE if you wish.
* This product is included in a Big Bundle with 5 resources about China and is available HERE.
* It is also included in a small Culture Bundle of 2 resources, available HERE.
* You can also find it in the Ancient & Modern China Reading & Writing Bundle, with 4 resources, available HERE.
Resource at a Glance:
* After reading information paragraphs, students answer comprehension questions.
* Students learn 26 facts about Chinese history, geography, and culture.
* Students practice categorizing by sorting the facts into logical groups.
* Students write acrostic poems about China.
All students learning about China, especially English Language Learners and students reading below grade level.
* The format provides an easy way to introduce China to your students.
* It includes reading, writing, speaking, and grammar activities.
* You can use the paragraphs to teach about linking and transition words, comparatives and superlatives, and relative clauses.
* A pronunciation guide tells you and your students how to say the Chinese words.
What educators who have used this resource say about it:
♥ "What a wonderful resource. It is perfect for teaching a unit on China. The topics and graphics are great!" -- A Buyer.
♥ "Great book to lead into indepth discussion with the class." -- Jennifer J.
♥ "Loved this alphabet for our display outside our classroom. We turned this into a book!" -- Jenny J.
What you get in this China resource:
★ A Table of Contents for easy reference (1 page)
★ A Notes to the Teacher section with explanatory information (2 pages)
★ Alphabetically organized facts about the country, with illustrations -- the actual ABC book about China (26 pages)
★ A list of the ELA Common Core standards addressed by this product (3 pages)
★ A table showing three types of language structures that can be found in the ABC China book's text (2 pages)
★ A page with discussion questions about the main idea and supporting details in the ABC China book (1 page)
★ Two templates for writing an acrostic poem about China (2 pages)
★ A page listing suggested categories for sorting the A - Z words in the ABC China book (1 page)
★ A guide to pronouncing all the Chinese words in the ABC China book (1 page)
You can use this ABC China book for a whole class read-aloud or for independent reading by your students. You can also use this informational text to complement lessons when reading literature about China.
Or use it in a social studies class to provide supplemental information about China. The sentences in this book are written so both younger, native English-speaking students and upper elementary and middle school English Language Learners who are at an intermediate level of English proficiency and up can comprehend them.
You can even use it to create a bulletin board about China! Just print out the 26 information text pages and display them in your class or hallway when teaching about the country.
Besides giving your students information about Chinese culture and society, 4 language tasks are included in this product:
1) Identify 3 types of language structures. You can either point out the structures themselves or ask their students to identify them. Transitions and linking words, comparatives and superlatives, and relative clauses are all used in the book's sentences. When students understand how and why these words and phrases are used, they are better able to comprehend informational texts. A table that identifies which language structures are used with each letter's sentences is included in the product.
2) Questions asking students to identify the main idea and details of the paragraphs. These questions can be answered in writing or orally. They can be done individually, in pairs, in small groups, or as a whole class.
3) Write an acrostic poem about China. Two templates are included for doing that, one with a title and one without. You can select the style they prefer.
4) Sort the 26 words in the ABC book into categories. Nine categories are suggested and you can also create your own--or tell students to create categories--if you wish.
After teaching in China for three and a half years, I was inspired to create a book that will give students interesting information about China past and present. This product can help address ELA Common Core standards in reading informational texts, reading history/social science texts, reading for fluency and accuracy, determining main ideas and details, and summarizing a written text.
You can use this resource remotely in 2 ways:
a) When teaching synchronously or asynchronously online, display and/or read aloud the pages of the book (ie the paragraphs about China). Then display the comprehension questions and have students write/type the answers or discuss them if using a platform than enables you to do that. Share answers with your class. Explain the writing task, send students 1 or both templates, and have them write a poem. Have students send you their completed poems, read some aloud, or have students share heir poems themselves if your platform allows.
b) For students to do on their own: Send photocopies of the China paragraphs, comprehension questions, and poetry templates home. (You may need to explain how to write the poems.). Tell students to read the book and answer the questions. Tell students to write a poem. Ask students to send their work back to you.
Welcome China into your classrooms and learn about this important country with this ABC book!
You may also like these products about China:
★ Chinese New Year Writing & Reading Activities
★ Chinese Dynasties, Emperors & Philosophers: Charts, Task Cards & Puzzles
★ Chinese Zodiac Animals Clipart
★ Chinese Zodiac Task Cards for Mechanics and Grammar
★ Chinese Zodiac Word Search Puzzles
Or buy a small bundle:
★ China Bundle: Culture (includes the Chinese Zodiac Clipart and C is for China products)
★ China Bundle: Writing (includes the Chinese New Year Writing Activities and ELA Task Cards products)
Or buy a big bundle with 5 resources:
★ China Big Bundle of Writing, Reading, Grammar, Wordsearch Activities & Clipart (includes the C is for China ABC Book, Chinese Zodiac Animals Clipart, Chinese New Year Writing and Reading Activities, Chinese New Year ELA Task Cards and Chinese New Year Word Search Puzzles products)
If you would like to receive updates about my new products, please click HERE or by the star under my store name at the top of your screen.
You can earn TpT credits that reduce the cost of your future purchases by giving feedback about this product. Just click on the "Comments & Ratings" tab after downloading to leave a comment and a rating. It's that easy!
Thank you and happy teaching!
Common Core Standards © Copyright 2010. National Governors Association Center for Best Practices and Council of Chief State School Officers. All rights reserved. Any claims of correlation or alignment to the CCSS Standards or WIDA ELD standards are solely those of The ESL Nexus and have not been evaluated or endorsed by the NGA. The ESL Nexus is the sole creator of this product and does not claim endorsement or association with the creators of the CCSS or WIDA standards.