Chinese Dynasties, Emperors & Philosophers - Charts, Task Cards & Puzzles
Also included in
- This big China bundle includes 6 resources altogether: 4 resources about China that introduce your students to Chinese culture, geography, and history while giving them reading, writing, and grammar tasks to do, 1 resource with Chinese zodiac clipart, and 1 resource with Chinese zodiac word search pPrice $22.20Original Price $27.75Save $5.55
- Help your students develop their reading and writing skills as they learn about Chinese history and society from ancient times to the modern era with the 4 resources included in this bundle:* Students read about Chinese dynasties, famous emperors and philosophers; about Chinese history, geography, aPrice $16.00Original Price $20.00Save $4.00
- Find 5 resources about Early Human Prehistory, Ancient India, Ancient China, the Vikings, and Early European colonies in the New World. Each resource includes blank and filled-in charts that answer questions about those particular time periods. The charts already filled in with information are writPrice $28.00Original Price $35.00Save $7.00
Help your students learn about Chinese history with these blank and filled-in charts about 10 dynasties, 6 emperors, and 4 philosophers of China plus task cards, word search and crossword puzzles. The charts already filled in with information are written in easy-to-understand language so students who are not reading on grade level can use them instead of their textbook or other materials to learn the material. A glossary is provided to help your students comprehend the information in the filled-in charts. There are Google Drive™ versions of the charts as well.
✓ Please Note:
* This resource is available in a money-saving with 3 more reading and writing resources about China; you can find it HERE.
* This resource is available in another money-saving bundle with 5 more reading, writing, clipart, and grammar resources about China, available HERE.
What educators who have used this resource say about it:
♥ "Great help." -- Suzanne L.
♥ "There was definitely a lot in this packet." -- Kelly O.
Resource at a Glance:
* Facts about Chinese emperors, including when and where they were born, how they came to power, facts about their dynasties, and what their accomplishments were.
* Facts about Chinese dynasties, including when the dynasties began and ended, where they were located, famous emperors of the dynasties, and what their legacies were.
* Facts about Chinese philosophers, including when they were born and died, the dynasties they lived in, the most famous aspects of their philosophies, and what their legacies were.
* All students, especially English Language Learners and students who need support to access grade-level content.
* Filled-in charts present information about the emperors and empires in language that is comprehensible for ELLs at intermediate and higher levels of language proficiency.
* Blank charts can be used by all students to take notes about the dynasties and people.
* The glossary helps students understand the text in the filled-in charts.
* Task cards reinforce students’ learning and give them speaking and listening practice.
* Word search and crossword puzzles can be used for homework, as fillers, or with early finishers.
* The Google Drive versions of the charts lets students easily access the information digitally.
What you get in this Chinese history product:
★ A table of contents for easy reference (1 page)
★ A Notes to the Teacher page with background information and suggestions for using the charts (2 pages)
★ A list of ELA Common Core standards addressed in this product (1 page)
★ Sample WIDA Model Performance Indicators (1 page)
★ A glossary with vocabulary words to help students comprehend the filled-in charts (3 pages)
★ A pronunciation guide for all the dynasties, people, and places mentioned in the resource (2 pages)
★ Blank charts for 10 dynasties with 10 questions per chart, plus a blank template, in color (11 pages)
★ Blank charts for 6 emperors with 6 questions per chart, plus a blank template, in color (7 pages)
★ Blank charts for 4 philosophers with 6 questions per chart, plus a blank template, in color (5 pages)
★ Blank charts for 10 dynasties with 10 questions per chart, plus a blank template, in black-and-white (11 pages)
★ Blank charts for 6 emperors with 6 questions per chart, plus a blank template, in black-and-white (7 pages)
★ Blank charts for 4 philosophers with 6 questions per chart, plus a blank template, in black-and-white (5 pages)
★ Charts filled in with the answers to the 10 questions about the 10 dynasties, in color (10 pages)
★ Charts filled in with the answers to the 6 questions about the 6 emperors, in color (6 pages)
★ Charts filled in with the answers to the 6 questions about the 4 philosophers, in color (4 pages)
★ Charts filled in with the answers to the 10 questions about the 10 dynasties, in in black-and-white (10 pages)
★ Charts filled in with the answers to the 6 questions about the 6 emperors, in black-and-white (6 pages)
★ Charts filled in with the answers to the 6 questions about the 4 philosophers, in in black-and-white (4 pages)
★ Cover pages for the blank and filled-in charts about emperors and empires, in color and black-and-white versions (4 pages)
★ Task cards with 5 “Would you rather” and 5 other questions, plus 2 blank template cards, in color (3 pages)
★ Task cards with 5 “Would you rather” and 5 other questions, plus 2 blank template cards, in black-and-white (3 pages)
★ A cover page for the word search puzzles (1 page)
★ 1 word search puzzle, with 3 levels of difficulty and answer keys included (6 pages)
★ 1 crossword puzzle, with answer key in 2 formats included (3 pages)
★ Cover page (1 slide)
★ A glossary of vocabulary words used in the charts (3 slides)
★ A pronunciation guide to the Chinese dynasties, emperors, and philosophers (2 slides)
★ Blank charts with ten questions, labeled with the names of Chinese dynasties, emperors, and philosophers, and a cover page (21 slides)
★ Filled-in charts with ten questions, labeled with the names of Chinese dynasties, emperors, and philosophers, and a cover page (21 slides)
★ Three templates of the blank charts, for teachers who wish to teach about other dynasties, emperors, and philosophers and for students who need more space to write, and a cover page (1 each for a dynasty, emperor, and philosopher for a total of 3 slides)
Students can use the blank charts to take notes when learning about the Chinese dynasties, emperors, and philosophers. The filled-in charts can be used by students who need more support to comprehend grade-level texts. All charts come in both color and black-and-white versions. The glossary includes 92 words used in the charts and defines them in context to help your students better comprehend the material.
Task cards with 5 "would you rather" questions and 5 other types of questions are also included in this resource. They give your students speaking and writing opportunities to show what they have learned about Chinese history. The task cards come in both color and black-and-white versions. (These task cards do not come in a Google Drive version.)
In addition, there is a word search puzzle with 3 levels of difficulty and a crossword puzzle that you can use with early finishers, as a challenge, as homework, or just for fun. Answer keys are provided for all the puzzles. (These puzzles do not come in a Google Drive version.)
You can use the charts in several ways:
* As a graphic organizer while reading about dynasties, emperors, and philosophers to consolidate information, or as a tool for checking comprehension after learning about the people and dynasties.
* The filled-in charts can be utilized as a basic source of information for your students * You can orally present the material to your classes as a listening comprehension activity and have students write down the facts in the blank charts.
* You can cut the information on the filled-in charts into strips and do matching activities with them.
* The charts can also be used as study guides and can even be adapted to be used as tests.
* Once the charts are completed, they can be used as the basis for writing activities.
Eight suggestions for using the charts are included in this resource.
The 10 dynasties covered in this resource are the:
* Xia, Shang, Zhou, Qin, Han, Tang, Song, Yuan, Ming, Qing.
The 6 emperors are:
* Qin Shi Huangdi, Liu Bang, Wu Ze Tian, Kublai Khan, Qian Long, Pu Yi.
The 4 philosophers are:
* Lao Zi, Confucius, Mencius, Han Fei Zi.
Mencius is not always included in textbook chapters about China but a Chinese friend said Mencius is considered to be just as important as Confucius so he is also included in this resource.
A pronunciation guide to all the Chinese names of dynasties, people, and places is provided so you and your students will know how to say them correctly.
If you work in a Common Core or WIDA Consortium state, a list of the ELA standards addressed in this resource and 3 sample MPIs are also included for your convenience.
Compiling information in these charts lets students easily compare and contrast details about several major dynasties, emperors, and philosophers of China. Whether used for note-taking tasks, reading comprehension purposes, test review, or as the basis for writing or speaking activities, using these charts will help students learn about the importance of China in world history.
You can use this resource remotely in 2 ways:
a) Tell students to use the Google Drive version of the charts.
b) Send photocopies of the blank and/or filled-in charts you want students to use or email students the charts and tell students to print them out if they have access to a printer. If using the blank charts, tell students to read their textbook or search online for answers to the questions and write answers in the appropriate sections on the charts. If you wish, have students send/email their work back to you so you check it. If using the filled-in charts, tell the students to read the charts. To use the task cards and puzzles, send photocopies home or email copies to students and tell them to print them out if they have access to a printer. Tell students to write answers to the task card questions and to do the puzzles, then send/email the work back to you so you can check it. Alternatively, you can also send home/email the answer keys and tell students to correct the puzzles themselves.
I taught at 2 universities in China (in Wuhan and Nanjing) for 3 1/2 years and loved it. I hope this Historic-ELL™ resource helps your students enjoy learning about Chinese history just as much as I did when I was there.
More Historic-ELL™ resources you might like:
Other products you may be interested in:
If you would like to receive updates about my new products, please click HERE or on the green star under my store name at the top of your screen.
You can earn TpT credits that reduce the cost of your future purchases by giving feedback about this product. Just click on the "Comments & Ratings" tab after downloading to leave a comment and a rating. It's that easy!
Thank you and happy teaching!
Common Core Standards © Copyright 2010. National Governors Association Center for Best Practices and Council of Chief State School Officers. All rights reserved. Any claims of correlation or alignment to the CCSS Standards are solely those of The ESL Nexus and have not been evaluated or endorsed by the NGA. The ESL Nexus is the sole creator of this product and does not claim endorsement or association with the creators of the CCSS.
© 2015 Google Inc. All rights reserved. Google Drive is a trademark of Google Inc. The ESL Nexus is the sole creator of this product and does not claim endorsement or association with Google, Inc.