Main Activity: Story ordering & sequencing, colouring in
Celebrating the Mid-Autumn Festival by Sanmu Tang
OR any other books that talks about the story behind Mid-Autumn
In this pack, you would find:
- 6 pictures that illustrate the story behind Mid-Autumn Festival, for students to colour in
- Sentence page for Kindergarten/Year 1 (ready to print) that allows students to cut, match and paste of what is happening in each picture in the story
- Sentence page for Year 2/3 students (ready to print)
- Pictures of the story that is already coloured and ready to print
LESSON IDEA for Kindy/Year 1
1) Read story about Mid-Autumn Festival, talk and discuss about what happened in the book, focusing on the sequence of events
2) Find a video on youtube that shows the story about the 10 Suns
3) Print the COLOURED pictures from the story on A3 paper and laminate, work as a class to put the pictures in order - encourage students to verbally recount what happened in the story through lots of questions and discussions
4) Print non-coloured pictures, and let students do their own colouring in
1) Re-cap what happened in the Mid-Autumn story with students, complete picture sequencing again in a circle (like previous lesson)
2) Print sentences out for Kindy/Year 1 from this resource pack- match the sentences to the coloured/laminated pictures as a class
3) Students complete their colouring in, cut and paste the pictures in the correct ORDER on a coloured piece of paper
4) Students cut and paste the sentences under the relevant pictures
(You might need to pause, and gather students together to demonstrate how to match the sentences to the correct picture)
For Year 2 students, follow a similar idea to the lesson plan above. However, students can use the Year 2/3 story sentences instead as it is more level appropriate. For more able students, they can write their own sentences.
For Year 3 students, they can write their own story board just by using the pictures, and share it with their peers.
Adjust or break down the lessons how ever you need it.