Chinese New Year Fluency Passages Pack!
Included in this pack are:
1. 5 reading passages
2. 5 Comprehension Worksheets
3. A graph to keep track of individual student words-per-minute (WPM) rates.
First, we like to use the reading passages as individual close reading passages initially. Together with our students, we read these passages, focusing on figuring out tricky words, practicing pronunciation, and getting a feel of the passage as a whole. After the first day of reading this passage together, we send the passage home with the students so they can continue practicing it at home. Then, each day of the week, we give our students some time to practice reading it to one another. During this week, the students also complete the comprehension questions either in small groups or individually. When our students feel ready to read the passage aloud to a teacher, they let us know. They have until the end of the week to read it to us.
When the students read the passage aloud to us, we listen as they read and time them in order to figure out their words per minute rate, which we then record onto the recording sheet provided. We also keep track of their accuracy on a copy of the reading passage, as too many errors can give us an inaccurate representation of their reading abilities. If a student has several errors while reading, we will help them with pronunciation and meaning of the words, then send them off to continue practicing and have them reread the passage the following week. Throughout the year, we set goals with each individual student about new words per minute rates they want to reach!
We usually use each reading passage for about a week before moving onto another reading passage. This ensures that students have a chance to practice reading the passage fluently, yet do not spend too much time on one particular passage. With interesting topics represented, we are sure your students will enjoy reading these passages and learn a lot about Chinese New Year!
This pack is aligned with the Common Core State Standards (CCSS) listed below:
- CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RI.2.1. Ask and answer such questions as who, what, where, when, why, and how to demonstrate understanding of key details in a text.
- CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RL.2.1. Ask and answer such questions as who, what, where, when, why, and how to demonstrate understanding of key details in a text.
- CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.2.4. Read with sufficient accuracy and fluency to support comprehension.
- CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.2.4.A. Read grade-level text with purpose and understanding.
- CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.2.4.B. Read grade-level text orally with accuracy, appropriate rate, and expression on successive readings.
If you have questions or suggestions, please let us know!