Teaching students about Chinese New Year can be not only fun but educational with this mini-unit! Includes concepts such as guide words, reading comprehension, 3 digit addition, word problems, and more literacy and math concepts all in an engaging Chinese New Year theme! The best part is that it is NO PREP!
This unit is apart of a Second Grade February No Prep ELA and Math Unit that includes Groundhog's Day,football Valentine's Day and President's Day as well!
✷This unit is geared towards 2nd graders, but can also be used for talented first graders or third graders who may be struggling a bit. This Chinese New Year Mini Unit is meant to be a time saver. Just print! These activities/worksheets can be used for homework, morning work, fun assessments, or even last minute substitute plans! ✷
Included in this unit is:
- L.1.1d New Moon Nouns: Read each sentence in a lantern and color according to if the underlined noun is a common noun or pronoun.
- L.2.2e Dragon Dictionary: Using a paper clip and pencil, spin three times. Whatever word you land on, fill out the information from the dictionary.
- RF2.3 Lantern Syllables: Read each word and color according to the number of syllables.
- Chinese Word Search
- L.2.1, L.2.2 Chinese Corrections: Read each sentence and write it correctly on the lines. Focus on spelling, grammar, capitals, and punctuation.
- RL.2.1 Chinese Comprehension: Read the one-page non-fiction passage about Chinese New Year and then answer six questions on the following page using complete sentences.
- Chinese Comparison Complete a Venn diagram with a classmate about the differences and similarities between Chinese New Year and New Year’s Eve.
- My Chinese Zodiac Learn about your Chinese zodiac animal and fill out a fun page comparing yourself and the animal.
- Fortune Fact and Opinion Read each statement about Chinese New Year and color the lanterns according to if it is a fact or opinion.
- 2.NBT.6 Dragon Tail Scales Solve the three-digit addition problems. Some regrouping is needed. Then color according to odd or even answers.
- 2.NBT.6 Red Envelope Code Solve the 2 digit addition problems to solve the code. Some regrouping is needed.
- 2.GA.3 Fireworks and Fractions Write the fraction for the shaded part in a rectangle.
- 2.NBT.6 Good Fortune Facts Solve the three-digit subtraction problems. Some regrouping is needed
- 2.NBT.4 Chinese Zodiac Spinners: Using a paper clip and pencil, create 15 3 digit addition problems to solve. Some regrouping.
- 2.NBT. Multiple Chinese New Year Numbers: Using numbers in a lantern, answer questions about place value.
- 2.NBT.2 Snake Sssssskip Count: Fill in the missing numbers.
- 2.MD.8 Envelope Equals: Write the dollar amount in that several children received during the Chinese New Year.
- 1.OA.4 Lucky Numbers: Fill in the missing addend.
•By clicking that green star you are getting updates on when there are sales and when I have new resources! New resources are 50% off for the first 48 hours! It pays to follow!
•Looking for freebies!? Check out my site Caffeinated and Creative for tips, ideas, and freebies!
Thank you for stopping by and shopping with me! I hope this product will be a great addition to your classroom. I would appreciate your feedback on this product! Leaving feedback not only helps me as a seller but as a buyer, YOU get credits towards future purchases when feedback is given! As always, feel free to contact me with any questions, comments, or to share photos of this resource in action!