Also included in
- This bundle includes 2 China resources that you can use for reading and writing practice or review: Chinese New Year Writing Activities, which has reading and writing tasks about the Chinese New Year holiday, and Chinese New Year ELA Task Cards for Mechanics and Grammar, a set of task cards with pic$5.20$6.50Save $1.30
- Help your students develop their reading and writing skills as they learn about Chinese history and society from ancient times to the modern era with the 4 resources included in this bundle:* Students read about Chinese dynasties, famous emperors and philosophers; about Chinese history, geography, a$15.00$18.75Save $3.75
- This big China bundle includes 6 resources altogether: 4 resources about China that introduce your students to Chinese culture, geography, and history while giving them reading, writing, and grammar tasks to do, 1 resource with Chinese zodiac clipart, and 1 resource with Chinese zodiac word search p$20.00$25.00Save $5.00
- The 4 grammar practice resources for ELLs in this bundle will help your students learn how to use much and many with count and non-count nouns, how to use 2 grammar patterns that can be difficult for English Language Learners (1 is about past tense verbs, 1 is about conditional sentences), and pract$8.40$10.50Save $2.10
These task cards about the Chinese zodiac let your students demonstrate their knowledge of capitalization, punctuation, spelling, and grammar. Each card has 1 sentence on it about 1 of the 12 animals of the Chinese zodiac. Sentences are written in simple English so your ELLs who are at an intermediate proficiency level or your older students who are not reading at grade level can comprehend them. Younger students can also use these Chinese zodiac task cards as a review.
✓ Please note:
* This product is included in a Big Bundle with 5 other resources about China and is available HERE.
* It is also available in a small Writing Bundle of 2 resources, which you can find HERE.
* You can also find it in the Ancient & Modern China Reading & Writing Bundle, with 4 resources, available HERE.
* You can also find this product in a bundle of 4 grammar resources; click HERE for more info.
What educators who have used this resource say about it:
♥ "Fun holiday activity for ELLs." -- Susan H.
♥ "Thank you for the resource. My students enjoyed using them in my language arts center." -- Faye D.
Each sentence on these Chinese zodiac task cards has 1 error in punctuation, capitalization, spelling, or grammar and the task for your students is to identify the type of error and then fix it so the sentence is written correctly. Multiple choice responses are included on each task card. An answer sheet for your students and an answer key for you and/or your students are both provided. All materials come in both color and black-and-white versions.
You can use these low-prep task cards in multiple ways: As a pre-assessment to determine what your students already know about capitalization, punctuation, spelling, and grammar. Or use these task cards about the animals of the Chinese zodiac as a formative review. They can also be given as a homework task, be used as a reward, or be used just for fun. Students can work on them individually, in pairs, or in small groups. You can also display them on a whiteboard and have your class work on them that way.
These Chinese zodiac task cards are in color because the animal images are photographs taken by me of an artifact bought in China. However, a version of the task cards in black-and-white is also provided if you prefer not to print them out in color. Black-and-white versions of the student answer sheet and answer key are also included for your convenience.
A list of the ELA Common Core standards addressed by this resource is included if you work in a Common Core state.
You can use these Chinese zodiac task cards in the following ways:
a) When teaching remotely, display 1 task card on your screen and tell students to find and correct the error, then ask for volunteers to share their responses.
b) When teaching remotely, display 1 task card page (showing 4 task cards) on your screen; put students in 4 breakout rooms and assign group to do 1 task card. Tell students to find and correct the error, then bring everyone back to the whole class and ask for volunteers from each group to share their responses.
c) Send photocopies of the blank and/or filled-in charts you want students to use or email students the charts and tell students to print them out if they have access to a printer. If using the blank charts, tell students to read their textbook or search online for answers to the questions and write answers in the appropriate sections on the charts. If you wish, have students send/email their work back to you so you check it. If using the filled-in charts, tell the students to read the charts. To use the task cards and puzzles, send photocopies home or email copies to students and tell them to print them out if they have access to a printer. Tell students to write answers to the task card questions and to do the puzzles, then send/email the work back to you so you can check it. Alternatively, you can also send home/email the answer keys and tell students to correct the puzzles themselves.
Your students will also enjoy learning a little about the Chinese zodiac in whatever way these task cards are used!
What you get in this product:
★ A table of contents for quick reference (1 page)
★ A Notes to the Teacher page with background information (1 page)
★ A list of the ELA Common Core standards addressed (1 page)
★ A set of 12 task cards, in color (3 pages)
★ An answer sheet for students, in color (1 page)
★ An answer key for teachers, in color (1 page)
★ A set of 12 task cards, in black-and-white (3 pages)
★ An answer sheet for students, in black-and-white (1 page)
★ An answer key for teachers, in black-and-white (1 page)
You might also like these products about China:
Or buy a small bundle:
★ China Bundle: Culture (includes the Chinese Zodiac Clipart and C is for China products)
★ China Bundle: Writing (includes the Chinese New Year Writing Activities and ELA Task Cards products)
Or buy the big bundle with 6 resources:
★ China Big Bundle of Writing, Reading, Grammar, Wordsearch Activities & Clipart (includes the C is for China ABC Book; Chinese Zodiac Animals Clipart, Chinese New Year Writing and Reading Activities; Chinese New Year ELA Task Cards, Chinese New Year Word Search Puzzles; and Chinese Dynasties, Emperors & Philosophers products)
If you would like to receive updates about my new products, please click HERE or on the green star under my store name at the top of your screen.
You can earn TpT credits that reduce the cost of your future purchases by giving feedback about this product. Just click on the "Comments & Ratings" tab after downloading to leave a comment and a rating. It's that easy!
Thank you and happy teaching!
Common Core Standards © Copyright 2010. National Governors Association Center for Best Practices and Council of Chief State School Officers. All rights reserved. Any claims of correlation or alignment to the CCSS Standards are solely those of The ESL Nexus and have not been evaluated or endorsed by the NGA. The ESL Nexus is the sole creator of this product and does not claim endorsement or association with the creators of the CCSS standards.