Compressed Zip File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
Do you want a great way to practice Reading Standards during Christmas with your students? This close read of the poem 'Twas the Night Before Christmas focuses on asking and answering questions, determining literal and non literal language meaning, and more, but with a holiday theme in which they are asked to analyze the famous poem "'Twas the Night Before Christmas".
There are 6 different reads/partial reads of the poem:
- First Read: Familiarize students with the poem.
- Second Read: Focus on decoding and word by word comprehension.
- Third Read: Focus on fluency/reading of poetry.
- Fourth Read: Focus on overall comprehension questions.
- Fifth Read: Focus on connections and figurative language.
- Sixth Read: Focus on summarizing.
This is a fun way to get students to close read and use the skills they have learned. This is also a fabulous fluency practice as students are asked to reread the selection multiple times in order to really master the poem: both comprehension and style/prosody. And your students will be having so much fun that they may recite it long after!
'Twas the Night Before Christmas Reading Activities, based on Common Core Standards. Includes a black and white version too!
See my other Common Core Aligned materials at Talented-In-Third