Students will learn about the traditions and celebrations of winter holidays in different countries while reviewing kindergarten literacy and math skills.
Covering Christmas Around the World in early elementary classrooms can be tough, but it is a great way for your students to learn more about the world and other customs. This activity book is a great way to introduce holiday traditions without overwhelming your students.
Take a look at the preview to see all the pages included in this download.
What countries are included?
Currently this pack includes the following countries: Australia, Canada, England, Germany, Italy, Mexico, Netherlands, and the United States. More countries may be added in the future.
How do you suggest I implement this in my classroom?
This resource can be used in many ways. If you have time and are looking to maximize learning, you might consider a similar plan to the following:
- Introduce country (show on map and relate to your location)
- Read a picture book (fiction and/or non-fiction)
- Highlight a few key traditions or customs
- Complete an activity or worksheet with similar themes (provided student workbook)
This plan allows your students to learn more about the world and other customs/traditions, but also gives more opportunities to incorporate language arts and social studies skills.
Will my students be able to read all the informational text on each page?
Please note that the informational text (in the box) at the top of each page is NOT written at a kindergarten reading ability. These facts can be read to the students. The information at the top of each page is extra information that corresponds with the activity on the page but is not required knowledge for the students to complete the printable.
What is the benefit of choosing this resource over a complete unit?
If you don’t have time to teach a full unit, you can use this resource to help your students explore traditions and customs from countries around the world. Although this was created to be used as an activity book, student pages can be used in many ways:
- Morning Work: Choose to print the pages individually and use them as morning work the day you are learning about a country
- Travel Guide: If you are “visiting” several countries throughout your unit, students can use their pages as you cover each country
- Winter Party: Have children use while you are setting up or after the party if you have a short time before recess, lunch, or dismissal
- Indoor Recess
- Classroom Reward
- Winter Break Review: Print the packet and send home as extra credit for students to work on over the break
I already have a Christmas Around the World unit, can I use this with it?
Yes, these worksheets are great supplemental pages to add to your existing unit.
Is there any background information included?
The teacher guide is included to provide you with some background information on each country’s traditions. There are many more traditions for each country than what is included. You may also find more in-depth information for the traditions and customs mentioned.
This looks great, but it may be too easy for my students. Do you have anything for first grade?
No, but Resource Ranch has a similar winter holidays around the world activity book that you may be interested in.
Do you have other resources I can use this December?