Clement Moore’s “The Night Before Christmas” is said to be one of the most famous American poems ever written.
Because of its popularity, easy cadence, rhyming words, and the fact that the poem is packed with over 60 Dolch sight words, I wanted to design a craftivity to incorporate into our reading activities, while covering the poetry genre and practicing the “sequencing & retelling” a story standards.
I came up with this “flip-the-flap” Santa booklet.
Children color, cut & sequence the “beard” pages, then glue their top tab to the base, adding Santa’s face as the “cover”.
Besides the black & white patterns for students, I've also included full color, so that teachers can quickly & easily make a sample to share.
To retell the story, they flip his beard up to reveal the graphics, which prompt them to explain what’s happening.
While working on the sequencing booklet, I thought teachers could also use the pattern for a variety of other things.
So I tweaked the templates and included patterns for:
* A “Ho Ho Ho-ping you have a Merry Christmas” card.
Older students can compose, then write a letter to the recipient on the back.
* A “Dear Santa” letter with a twist.
Instead of having children write the usual “I’d like a …….” have students ask Santa to bring a specific gift to a special person in their life, then explain why.
For example: “Dear Santa, could you please bring a pair of boots for my baby brother Fred, so he can play outside in the snow with me. Love, Ean”
* Blank patterns so that you can make a flip the flap booklet for another Santa story, or to use as a creative writing prompt of your choice.
Completed projects make a cute bulletin board or hallway display.
Also included in the packet are:
* A photo-poster of Clement Moore,
* Background information on the poem, and
* A copy of the story-poem, which you can read together as a whole group; calling on children to take turns reading a stanza. There's also
* An “alphabetize Santa’s reindeer” worksheet.
’m Diane from Teach With Me, wishing you a very Merry Christmas filled with giggles galore.
Don’t forget that all my new products are 40% off for 48 hours.
Click the green star button to follow my shop & you’ll be notified of these huge savings.