Pearl S. Buck's short story is one of a teenage boy's life-changing recognition of his father's love a few days before Christmas. The study applies the Common Core literary standards. The study includes:
1. The story in blocked paragraphs with comprehension questions ranging from simple recall to critical analysis focusing on text evidence. (Includes flashback,dialogue, symbolism, simile, personification, alliteration.) The blocked paragraphing allows for close reading.
2. Theme analysis focusing on how character, setting, and plot develop the theme.
3. Writing connection for theme with planning sheet.
4. Seven additional writing connections suitable for journal or writing using specific text evidence.
5. Answer Keys
6. Simple comprehension test with answer key.
7. Standards-Based Test with answer key.