This mini Christmas unit is based around the Mexican legend of the poinsettia plant. In this holiday legend, a poor young girl finds herself with no money to buy a gift to take to her church’s Christmas Eve service, to leave by the Baby Jesus’s manger, as is tradition. She picks some pretty weeds to take in place of a bouquet of flowers. When others begin to whisper and laugh, the weeds transform into the beautiful red flowers that we are familiar with today. The story is printed here in the form a foldable pocket book for you to print the one you wish to use for your setting.
Following the mini books are a related crafts, along with a few worksheets and coloring sheets that can be used with the story. The worksheets include:
- A vocabulary matching page, with a related unscramble the words activity and word search.
- A short quiz with multiple choice and constructed response pages
- A Venn diagram for comparing the mini-book to a picture book such as The Legend of the Poinsettia by Tommy dePaulo or The Miracle of the First Poinsettia by Joanne Oppenheim.
- 2 coloring sheets
- A craft pattern for making paper poinsettias
- A non-fiction article about poinsettias and a related question page.
Enjoy the Legend of the Poinsettia!
Save money with the entire bundle! Buy the bundle and save!
Christmas ELA Writing and Short Story Bundle
Click here for more Christmas fun!