This product is a set of holiday comics that are intended to help children practice their inferential thinking.
As children work through each comic, they will follow an elf named Ernie on a mission to discover if a middle school boy, Torin, should be on the naughty or nice list. Each comic involves 3 to 4 slides that illustrate a situation that Torin is experiencing. The children’s job is to find all the key details
in each comic and help Ernie write an email back to Santa
sharing what Torin did each day and whether he had a naughty or nice day. After they have analyzed all the comics and written emails for each individual comic, the children will have to help Ernie decide if Torin should officially be on the naughty or nice list.
This fun activity engages children in:
• Using clues to make inferences about a character
• Clearly explaining their inferential thinking through writing
• Using evidence from the storyline to back up their inferences
This product can be used in 3 different ways:
1. These comics can be used during literacy centers as a Write the Room activity. Each comic can be placed in a different location around the classroom and students can work their way around the room solving the inference for each comic. Once they have worked through each comic, they can return to their desks to write their final assessment of Torin. The comics are not order-specific, so several students can be working through the activity at the same time by starting at a different numbered comic and continuing to travel through the comics until they work all seven.
2. The comics can also be used during a small group mini lesson. The teacher can work through each comic with the small group and use the comics to model solid inferential thinking.
3. For a whole group activity, the comics can be used for a Think-Pair-Share exercise. One comic can be given to a pair of students. Each student in the pair can independently study the comic and think of an appropriate inference. Then the two students can pair up and work together to write an email response to Santa about Torin’s actions and whether he was naughty or nice. Once each pair has written their email, they can share their email with the class. At this point, all the emails can be collected, and then the class can discuss the collective evidence and make a final decision as to which list Torin should officially be on.
This product includes:
• An overview
• Student directions
• 7 comics
• An email template for student responses
Thanks for stopping by our store!
Teri and Tiff
This product is copyrighted: Inference Practice Freebie – Write the Room Holiday Comic Strips
by Teri and Tiff's Creative Resources
is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License
Other Holiday Language Arts Products:
Thanksgiving Writing Craftivity – I Am Thankful: Highlighting Paragraph Writing
Elf Prediction Matchup – A Focused Reading Skills Activity
Holiday Math Products:
Fraction Game – Pumpkin Maze for Equivalent Fractions
Thanksgiving Math Craftivity – Order of Operations
Elapsed Time War – A Holiday Math Game
Prediction Comic Strips – A Focused Reading Skills Activity
Prediction Matchup – A Focused Reading Skills Activity
Prediction Task Cards – Practice with Scenarios
Reading Comprehension – Inference & Sequence Practice
Writing with Personification – Creative Writing Tool
Writing with Similies – Creative Writing Tool
Descriptive Writing – Creative Writing Tool: Using Your 5 Senses
Get TPT Credit . . .
. . . by rating this product! Go to your My Purchases
page (you may need to log in) and click the Provide Feedback
button (next to this product). Each time you give feedback, TPT gives you feedback credits that lower the cost on future purchases. We really value your thoughts and look forward to hearing your ideas!
Discounts, Freebies & New Products
Be the first to know about our discounts, freebies and new product launches by becoming a follower on TPT
(To become a TPT follower, click the green star next to our profile picture at the top of this page.)