Compressed Zip File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
This resource focuses on repeated patterns using Christmas patterns and shapes.
There is a 4 page Teacher's Notes/Lesson Plan on this one-off lesson which you can choose to make it last throughout the whole morning or afternoon or 1 hour session.
• PowerPoint Presentation (10 Slides) - Include whole class activities, examples of repeated Christmas patterns, in the Presentation students are asked where they have seen repeated patterns of pictures - they may mention their wallpaper at home, car seat covers, on printed clothes (e.g. socks) etc.
• Differentiated Activity Sheets 1 and 2 - Complete the sequence of pictures
• Activity Sheet 1b – Pictures to cut out to complete Activity Sheets
• Blank Repeating Patterns Worksheets to create own repeating pattern
• Extension Patterns Worksheet
• Extension Christmas Shapes
Teacher Notes/Lesson Plan: A one-off lesson for students to explore repeating patterns in the context of Christmas.
Bring in some Christmas wrapping paper with repeated patterns of pictures and/or shapes or you can display Slide 1 showing examples of Christmas patterns.
The students will have been wrapping presents or looking at wrapped presents. Focus their attention on the patterns.
The lesson should last 50 mins to 1 hour depending on how long your students take to design their patterns:
Introduction to set the scene: 10-15mins;
Main Lesson 15-20 mins;
consolidation of lesson (work at table): 20 mins; and
closing session 5-10mins.
This lesson takes students through looking at simple picture patterns and working out the next picture in the sequence.
Opportunity for students to create their own repeated patterns by cutting and pasting pictures - using pictures on Activity Sheet 1b
Opportunity to create a whole sheet of repeated patterns and pictures/shapes to show to the whole class in the closing session of the lesson - Extension: Pattern Worksheet.
Computer Link - The more competent computer users can create color filled shapes to produce an whole page/A4 sheet design of repeated patterns to show the rest of the class and explain what they did on the computer.
Hope your students find this lesson fun.
Thank you for visiting my store.