A five-lesson literacy unit of poetry planning for Years 3 and 4 (2nd/3rd Grade), based on performing Christmas poetry.
In this unit, pupils will read the poem 'Sly Santa Claus' and they will consider how the sounds and language patterns come alive when the poem is read aloud, particularly focussing on the use of verbs and onomatopiea. Children will work towards creating their version of the Christmas poem and turning it into an effective performance.
The aims of the unit for pupils are:
• To listen to a classic Christmas poem being read aloud
• To identify verbs and onomatopoeic phrases
• To prepare a poetry performance by planning actions or props
• To perform a poem to an audience
• To identify successful features of a performance
The PDF file contains 5 full literacy lesson plans, copies of the poem and all accompanying pupil resources.