Also included in
- Looking for fun Christmas or winter activities that incorporate science, technology, engineering, and/or math? Christmas-Winter STEM / STEAM Challenges sure to engage with brain-busting work disguised as fun!Christmas and Winter STEM Challenge Activities Overview: Students work in partners or groupsPrice $8.98Original Price $17.50Save $8.52
- Super-charge your STEM class with 52 high-engagement, critical thinking, problem-solving, NGSS-aligned challenges to take you through the entire year! Modifications are included to make these activities engaging and challenging for students in grades 2 - 8. The basic premise: Students work in partnePrice $95.00Original Price $186.36Save $91.36
- Christmas and Winter STEM Challenges are the perfect activities to engage your students in brain-busting work disguised as fun when they've got the winter crazies! The basic premise:Working against a criteria/constraints list individually or in partners, students will design and build a way to safelPrice $5.98Original Price $7.96Save $1.98
- Two Christmas STEM activities to engage your students in the 4 C's of engineering - Candy Cane Calamity STEM Challenge and Winter STEM Improv!Christmas STEM Activity 1: STEM ImprovA quick STEM activity to work on creativity, mental flexibility & the planning step of the Engineering Design ProcesPrice $5.50Original Price $7.00Save $1.50
Christmas STEM Activities are perfect to engage your students in brain-busting work disguised as fun this winter!
Candy Cane Calamity Christmas STEM Challenge Activity Premise:
Working against a criteria/constraints list individually or in partners, students will design and build a way to safely “mail” two candy canes in one paper bag package without breakage. (Note: cookies can be substituted for candy canes.)
Note: This is the printable version, though you can upload the editable handouts to Google Slides™ if desired. However, if you are in a 1:1 / paperless classroom, you may prefer the digital option designed specifically for use with GOOGLE SLIDES™ instead.
If you have questions about which version is right for you, please feel free to leave me a question using the product Q&A below.
NGSS aligned standards, Grades 2 – 8
- Links to my 5-part video series on getting started with STEM challenges
- Materials and timing
- Criteria & Constraints (including modifications to increase difficulty for older students)
- Measuring results
- Universal STEM Challenge Notes & How to Use Student Handouts Post-design extension activities list
- Link to a video walk-through of the challenge
- Criteria & Constraints List (in color and black & white)
- Design Analysis Handouts (2-page regular spacing and 4-page expanded spacing for primary students included) (in color and black & white)
- Discussion Questions (in color and B&W)
- Shipping research activity (editable)
- Physical vs. Chemical changes notes & activity (editable; answer key provided)
- Process Flow Map
- Math Extension
This is one of five Winter / Christmas STEM Challenge Activities. They can be purchased in a bundle at a discount:
This resource is also available in the STEM CHALLENGE YEAR-ROUND MEGA-BUNDLE at an even greater discount!
Sample/suggested materials for each student or group:
(Materials you’ll need to do the activity are easily modified.)
- Candy canes (2) [Cookies can be substituted for candy canes]
- Paper bag
- Pipe cleaners (5 – 10)
- Popsicle/craft sticks (5 – 10)
- Tape (12 in.)
- Scale (to measure weight criterion)
• Tissue paper, coffee filters, or cotton balls
• String, cable ties
What do teachers have to say about this resource?
“My students loved completing this challenge! They enjoyed the friendly competition in creating a package that would withstand the bumps and I appreciated the reflective pieces included to spark some meaningful conversation. Thanks!”
“This was so much fun!! It made our Christmas party memorable!!”
“Another easy to use STEM activity that my kids loved!”
“My students really loved this activity. It was a great real world issue for them to solve.”
“I can't wait to use this with my first graders! They love STEM and this is one project that is completely accessible to them. LOVE IT! :)”
You might also like these resources:
STEM Challenges & Bundles (grades 2 – 8):
Please check out the video preview to see the challenge, and don’t hesitate to contact me with any questions!
Video preview music credit:
"Carefree" Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com)
Licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution 3.0 License