Products in this Bundle (5)
Also included in
- Super-charge your STEM class with 52 high-engagement, critical thinking, problem-solving, NGSS-aligned challenges to take you through the entire year! Modifications are included to make these activities engaging and challenging for students in grades 2 - 8. The basic premise: Students work in partne$104.00$206.73Save $102.73
Looking for fun Christmas or winter activities that incorporate science, technology, engineering, and/or math? Christmas-Winter STEM / STEAM Challenges sure to engage with brain-busting work disguised as fun!
The basic premise:
Students work in partners or groups against criteria & constraints lists to design and build Winter/Christmas-themed devices. Modification suggestions are included to make these challenges engaging and productive for students in grades 2 - 8.
This bundle includes five challenges at a great discount!
⭐ Christmas STEM Challenge: Candy Cane Calamity
⭐ Christmas STEM Challenge: Reindeer Relay
⭐ Christmas or Winter STEM Challenge: Sleigh & Slope or Sled & Slope
⭐ Winter_Christmas STEM Challenge: Frozen Fortress
⭐ Winter_Christmas STEM Challenge: Snowman Stretch
Note: This is the printable version. If you are in a 1:1 / paperless classroom, you will want to check out the digital option for use with GOOGLE SLIDES (TM).
Materials you’ll need to do the activity are easily modified. Materials lists can be found in the product descriptions for each individual challenge linked above or by clicking through on its page in the downloadable preview.
• Overall STEM Tips
- Suggestions on timing and whether or not to treat these challenges as competitions
- What to say (and what not to say) during STEM Challenges
- 5-event Data Tracker handout
Plus, each challenge comes with:
NGSS aligned standards, Grades 2 – 8
- Links to STEM Challenge How-to Videos
- Links to individual challenge walk-throughs (videos will post between April 20 – May 5)
- Materials and timing
- Criteria & Constraints (including modifications to increase difficulty for older students)
- Measuring results
- Post-design extension activities list
- Universal STEM Challenge Tips/how to use the handouts
- Criteria and Constraints list (color and B&W; editable)
- Results and Design Analysis (color and B&W; editable)
- Discussion Questions (color and B&W; editable)
- Process Flow Map
- Math Extension
- Plus, other design-specific handouts (see each individual challenge resource description page for more details)
The preview shows an overview of what is included in each challenge. You can find more details by clicking anywhere on the individual challenges pages. Please don’t hesitate to contact me with any questions!
Benefits of STEM Design Challenges:
- Focus on critical thinking, problem solving, and application of learning
- High levels of student engagement
- The potential to hit upon all NGSS ETS standards depending on the depth and number of iterations you choose to implement in your classroom (modifications included)
- Highly flexible and differentiated for materials, timing, grade levels, and rigor.
Each design iteration should be planned for approximately 60 – 90 min. Again, I recommend working on STEM Design Challenges in multiple iterations to get the full value.
What are teachers saying about this bundle?
“My students loved these challenges and I loved that they were so engaged in learning and problem solving at what is typically a very distracting time of the year.
"This was well worth the money and can be adapted to so many different grade levels. Two of the activities were a big hit at my school's Grandparents and Special Friend's Day. Snowman Stretch and the Sled challenge were embraced by all. Interestingly, it was the adults who had a hard time staying within the rules."
“One of the best purchases I made!”
“Fun activities that can be easily adapted to multiple grade levels.”
“My student[s] love your stem units. I have your collection”
“LOVED, LOVED, LOVED this!! So much fun and was perfectly laid out. My 6th-8th graders had a blast!”
“So great! Saving the snowman until January! Love watching the kids think, try, and then rethink, retry!”
“Thorough and engaging resource!”
"Wonderful activities. Love the extensions. Well worth the money."
“Loved this!! As did my 5th graders. I used the candy cane challenge on the last day before Christmas break. It was a major hit!”
“Love the thought process behind these. Can't wait to use them with my students! Thank you for your hard work!”
NOTE: You can save even more by purchasing this bundle as part of the STEM CHALLENGE YEAR-ROUND MEGA-BUNDLE!!!
You might also like these resources: