The Gift of the Magi and The Necklace Activity Bundles
The Gift of the Magi by O Henry and The Necklace by Guy de Maupassant are often taught in tandem because they both focus on the lives of married couples and have interesting and contrasting themes. They also both have ironic twists at the end which teach a moral lesson. For this reason I have decided to package of them into one bundle. This bundle contains two very comprehensive units of lesson resources which includes,
1) The Gift of the Magi Questions and Quotes Worksheet
Students answer questions and analyze the significance of important events and quotes from the story. Answer keys are included as well as black and white and color versions of this activity.
2) The Necklace Scavenger Hunt for Information Worksheet
This is a 39 question reading check scavenger hunt which is meant to enhance enjoyment and comprehension while reading the short story, The Necklace by Guy de Maupassant It also deals with vocabulary and figurative language. Answer keys are included as well as black and white and color versions of this activity.
3) 8 Essay Questions for Further Study along with a comparison contrast graphic organizer relating this story to Cinderella with answers sheet.
For both Short stories
4) Two Word Detective-Word Attack Vocabulary Activities for parts I and 2 of each of the stories
Your students act as vocabulary detectives and use their word attack skills to determine the meaning of each new word in context. Answer sheets are included.
5) A challenging and comprehensive crossword puzzle related to each story
6) Figurative Language workshops and worksheets for each of the stories
This is worksheet and workshop which introduces the figurative language in the short story, It focuses on the six most common kinds of figurative language used by the author; simile, metaphor, personification, hyperbole, synecdoche and allusion.
This worksheet can also be used as a quiz and has 20 passages and quotes from each of these stories containing all of these different types of figurative language with accompanying answer sheets.
7) Figurative Language Tracker Graphic Organizer
This is a graphic organizer which allows students to actively track figurative language as it appear in this or any other story.
8) The Elements of a Short Story Graphic Organizer
This is one of my most popular sellers. It covers the different literary elements of a short story such as plot, characterization, different types of conflict, setting, climax, resolution and theme. You can use this for any other story as well. It helps your students summarize and analyze the story.
I think that your students will enjoy this comprehensive and interesting bundle of activities. If you would like more lessons like this visit my store at