This no-prep pack includes 2 open ended mathematics worksheets with a Christmas theme.
The worksheets in this freebie pack can supplement the worksheets in my larger pack: ‘Christmas Themed Open Ended Mathematics Tasks’ and can be added to the workbook in that pack.
There is one task per worksheet, as well as a bonus challenge task (written down the bottom) which is an extension task for students to do on the back of the sheet or in their books, if you wish.
The worksheets cover the following areas of mathematics: number (addition) and measurement (height and width).
Each worksheet has an explanation for teachers in the ‘Possible Answers and Lesson Tips’ section. This section gives examples of the types of answers that students may give to the questions.
The ‘Possible Answers and Lesson Tips’ section also provides simple tips for how teachers can best support their students with each task.
There is a step-by-step guide for how you could teach an open ended mathematics lesson.
**Please Note: The ‘Decorating Trees’ worksheet has two versions to allow for the different spellings of color / colour.
Open ended mathematics tasks are great for many reasons:
• Open ended tasks cater for students working at different levels because there is a range of acceptable answers to the questions.
• Open ended tasks encourage flexible thinking about ways to problem solve and present answers, rather than simply requiring students to recall information.
• Open ended tasks encourage students to talk about how they will solve problems, and to articulate their skills and understandings.
• Open ended tasks are great assessment tools because they give teachers an insight into how students apply their learning to a problem, which demonstrates their understandings.
This pack can be used in many ways:
• Add these worksheets to the worksheets from my larger pack: ‘Christmas Themed Open Ended Mathematics Tasks’ to make a comprehensive workbook and then use the workbook with the whole class over several lessons.
• Use as individual worksheets with the whole class or in learning stations.
• Use the worksheets as a way of revising content you have covered with your class.
• Use the worksheets as an assessment tool to gauge the students’ problem solving abilities on a topic.
• Give the workbook / individual worksheets to gifted and talented students in your class as a way of extending and challenging them in mathematics.
• Give the worksheets to students as homework to complete with their families.
This pack has been created to be used in different regions. The worksheets contain both US English and UK English (ie color / colour). This product may also be referred to as: open ended math, open ended maths, math problem solving, maths problem solving, mathematics problem solving, higher order thinking skills (HOTS) math, HOTS maths, HOTS mathematics, Christmas math, Christmas maths, Christmas mathematics, math worksheets, maths worksheets, math centers, maths centres and math printables.
Thank you for your interest in my product!
Find me on Facebook and Pinterest for even more offers, activities
and inspiration www.facebook.com/learningsprouts