This no-prep pack includes 12 open ended math tasks with a Christmas theme.
There is one task per worksheet, as well as a bonus challenge. The challenge can be used an extension task for students to complete on the back of the worksheet or in their books.
The worksheets cover the following areas of Mathematics: Number, Measurement, Geometry, Pattern, Probability and Statistics.
The worksheets included in this pack are:
1. ‘Naughty or Nice?’ – Place value
2. ‘How many presents?’ – Fractions
3. ‘Christmas Tree’ – Addition
4. ‘Christmas Decorations’ – Patterns
5. ‘Christmas Shopping’ – Money
6. ‘Heavy Presents’ – Mass / Weight
7. ‘Candy Canes’ – Measuring length
8. ‘Packing Presents’ – 2D shapes
9. ‘Santa’s Map’ – Maps
10. ‘Santa’s Flag’ – Symmetry
11. ‘Christmas Questions’ – Probability vocabulary (likely / unlikely)
12. ‘Christmas Graph’ – Column / bar graphs
• The ‘Heavy Presents’ worksheet has two versions: one using pounds (lb) and one using kilograms (kg).
• The ‘Candy Canes’ worksheet has two versions: one using inches (in) and one using centimeters (cm).
• The ‘Christmas Tree’ worksheet has two versions to allow for the different spellings of color / colour.
Each worksheet has an explanation for teachers in the ‘Possible Answers and Lesson Tips’ section. This section gives examples of the types of answers that students may give to the questions.
The ‘Possible Answers and Lesson Tips’ section also provides simple tips for how teachers can best support their students with each task.
There is a step-by-step guide for how you could teach an open ended mathematics lesson.
A workbook cover is included (a color option and a black line option), should you wish to staple the worksheets together to make a workbook
Open ended mathematics tasks are great for many reasons:
• Open ended tasks cater for students working at different levels because there is a range of acceptable answers to the questions.
• Open ended tasks encourage flexible thinking about ways to solve problems and present answers.
• Open ended tasks encourage students to talk through how they will solve problems, and to articulate their skills and understandings.
• Open ended tasks are great assessment tools because they give an insight into how students apply their learning to a problem, which demonstrates their understandings.
This pack can be used in many ways:
• Make a workbook using the cover on page 7 or 8 and use this with the whole class over several lessons.
• Use this pack as individual worksheets with the whole class or in learning stations.
• Use this pack to revise content you have covered with your class.
• Use the worksheets as an assessment tool to gauge the students’ problem-solving abilities on a topic.
• Give the workbook or individual worksheets to gifted and talented students in your class as a way to extend and challenge them in mathematics.
This pack has been created to be used in different regions. The worksheets contain both US English and UK English (i.e. color and colour). This pack contains both imperial and metric measurements (ie lb and kg). This product may also be referred to as: open ended math, open ended maths, open ended mathematics, math problem solving, maths problem solving, mathematics problem solving, higher order thinking skills (HOTS) math, HOTS maths, HOTS mathematics, Christmas math, Christmas maths, Christmas mathematics, math worksheets, math centers, and math printables.
Thank you for your interest in my product!
Find me on Facebook and Pinterest for even more offers, activities
and inspiration www.facebook.com/learningsprouts