Improve kids' writing with these focused activities. Students revise a simple story using eight improvement suggestion cards: varying sentence beginnings, varying sentence types, varying sentence lengths, choosing words for effect, using figurative language, using active verbs, adding details, and using transition words.
To support classroom, hybrid, and distance learning, resources are included as a printable PDF, forced Google Slides, and Easel Activities.
- Directions for the teacher
- Simple story of "Alex the Elf"
- Eight cards (each with a proven strategy, suggestions, and examples)
- Themed stationery for writing final paragraph
- Self-check sheet for the student
- Rubric for the teacher
This holiday lesson may be used in multiple ways:
- Scoot: Arrange editing stations around the room. You can use all eight or select the strategies your students need most.
- Independent or Group Work: Print materials for students to work alone or collaboratively.
- Digital: Share a set of Google Slides or Easel Activities with each student.
Open the preview to get a closer look.
Would you like to know when I post more resources? Simply follow me on TpT.
I'm committed to continual improvement. This resource was updated to include digital components on October 21, 2020.