During the holiday season, it is easy for children (and adults) to forget the true meaning of the holiday spirit. Why not use the weeks leading up to the holiday break to have students practice writing skills, while also thinking about spreading joy and kindness to others? (Thank you so much to Teaching in the Tongrass for the great Kindness Elf clip art-all contributors credited within the purchase!)
All of the writing prompts meet Common Core Writing Standard W.3!
When you purchase this you will receive numerous writing ideas that can be used separately, together, or to offer choice and differentiation to your students!
These can be used during writing workshop, independent writing time, station work, group work, small group instruction, partner writing, or any other way that you see fit.
The following materials come with this pack:
• 2 versions of a “Kindness elf” story writing prompt. One version is more rigorous and asks students to use literary elements such as setting, character development, conflict, key events, and a resolution. The second version can meet the needs of all students and be used as a quicker writing piece. Matching writing papers come for the story as well!
• 2 versions of a pre-writing organizer for the kindness elf story writing prompt.
• 3 different versions of kindness elf message cards. Students can spread kindness and joy with little kindness elf message cards. 6 cards come per page. You can give students a card and have them send or give random or specific messages to classmates, peers, or to anyone in the building!
• Newspaper Writing Prompt-Students get a prompt for writing a newspaper or front page newspaper for the town the kindness elves live in. A writing prompt with the 5W’s accompanies the prompt, as well as 3 versions of a newspaper template.
• Newspaper Writing Prompt-Students get a prompt for writing a newspaper or front page newspaper for a town that a kindness elf or elves has visited and impacted in some way. A writing prompt with the 5W’s accompanies the prompt, as well as 3 versions of a newspaper template.
• 2 versions of a kindness elf journal-students write AS the kindness elf of their own choosing. One version is a typical journal format, while the other format is as an “app” on an “iPad” (still written by hand, not digital, but the writing paper has an iPad template and a pretend “app” with a pencil to journal!
I hope that you and your students enjoy this change of pace around the holiday season. Please note that ALL students, despite their religious affiliations, can participate in these writing tasks. There is NO mention of Christmas or Santa, although it can be inferred for those who do believe.
Check out my other fun Christmas Products!!
"The Polar Express" Common Core Unit
Santa Interview and Newspaper Writing Task
Elf Training Guide-A Fun and Creative Writing Task to Create a Training Guide for New Elves at the North Pole
Santa Takes a Vacation: 6 Creative Writing Prompts with Matching Papers
Reindeer Partner Cards & Grouping Cards with Matching Table/Wall Signs
Please let me know if you would like anything tweaked or edited. These materials are for use in ONE classroom. If you would like to share with a colleague, please be sure to purchase additional licenses.