Looking for some fun Christmas or winter activities that incorporate science, technology, engineering, and/or math? These STEM Challenges are for you!
The basic premise:
Students work in partners or groups against criteria & constraints lists to design and build Winter/Christmas-themed devices. Modification suggestions are included to make these challenges engaging and productive for students in grades 2 - 8. This bundle includes five challenges at a 40% discount!
Winter STEM Challenge: Snowman Stretch (2nd – 8th)
Winter STEM Challenge: Frozen Fortress (2nd – 8th)
Christmas STEM Challenge: Candy Cane Calamity (2nd – 8th)
Christmas STEM Challenge: Reindeer Relay (2nd – 8th)
Christmas or Winter STEM Challenge: Sleigh & Slope or Sled & Slope (2nd – 8th)
NOTE: You can save even more by purchasing this bundle as part of the STEM CHALLENGE YEAR-ROUND MEGA-BUNDLE!!!
Multiple iterations are recommended to get the most student benefit, but these can also be treated as one-off activities.
Benefits of STEM Design Challenges:
- Focus on critical thinking, problem solving, and application of learning
- High levels of student engagement
- The potential to hit upon all NGSS ETS standards depending on the depth and number of iterations you choose to implement in your classroom (modifications included)
- Highly flexible and differentiated for materials, timing, grade levels, and rigor.
Each design iteration should be planned for approximately 60 min. Again, I recommend working on STEM Design Challenges in multiple iterations to get the full value.
Materials you’ll need to do the activity are easily modified. Materials lists can be found in the product descriptions for each individual challenge linked above.
• Overall STEM Tips
- Suggestions on timing whether or not to treat these challenges as competitions
- What to say (and what not to say) during STEM Challenges
- 5-event Data Tracker handout
Plus, each challenge comes with:
• NGSS aligned standards, Grades 2 – 8
• Teacher Tips
- Links to my 5-part video series on getting started with STEM challenges
- Links to challenge-specific video walk-throughs
- Premise & Set-up
- Materials and timing
- Modifying Criteria & Constraints to adjust challenge difficulty
- Measuring results
- Post-design extension activities list
- Universal STEM Challenge Tips/how to use the handouts
• Student Handouts
- Criteria & Constraints List (editable version provided)
- Design Analysis Handouts (2-page regular spacing and 4-page expanded spacing for primary students included)
- Discussion Questions
• Extension templates
- Process Flow Map
- Math Extension
- Plus other design-specific handouts (see each individual challenge product description page for more details)
What are teachers saying about this bundle?
“My students loved these challenges and I loved that they were so engaged in learning and problem solving at what is typically a very distracting time of the year.
"This was well worth the money and can be adapted to so many different grade levels. Two of the activities were a big hit at my school's Grandparents and Special Friend's Day. Snowman Stretch and the Sled challenge were embraced by all. Interestingly, it was the adults who had a hard time staying within the rules."
“One of the best purchases I made!”
“Fun activities that can be easily adapted to multiple grade levels.”
“My student[s] love your stem units. I have your collection”
“LOVED, LOVED, LOVED this!! So much fun and was perfectly laid out. My 6th-8th graders had a blast!”
“So great! Saving the snowman until January! Love watching the kids think, try, and then rethink, retry!”
“Thorough and engaging resource!”
“Loved this!! As did my 5th graders. I used the candy cane challenge on the last day before Christmas break. It was a major hit!”
“Love the thought process behind these. Can't wait to use them with my students! Thank you for your hard work!”
You might also like these products:
STEM CHALLENGE YEAR-ROUND MEGA-BUNDLE
Halloween STEM Design Challenge 5-in-1 Bundle
Valentine’s Day 5-in-1 STEM Challenge Bundle (2nd – 8th)
Thanksgiving 5-in-1 STEM Challenge Bundle (2nd – 8th)
Christmas Parts of Speech Activity (2nd – 3rd)
Graphing with Skittles Activity (2nd – 3rd)
Photosynthesis: Hands-on Modeling Activity
Analyze and Interpret Data Unit
Getting Started with STEM Challenges FREEBIE