I've created this mini-unit to use with my kinders when we learn about Christopher Columbus and Columbus Day.
Included are the following activities:
- October 2017 Calendar - students will add a calendar piece to show when Columbus Day is celebrated
- Long Ago/Today and Past Present sort - There are colored pictures of ships, telescopes, and clothing. There are black/white options for students - flip book or sort on paper.
- Real vs Make-Believe sort - There are 6 colored pictures of things that are either real or make-believe There are black/white options for students - flip book or sort on paper.
- Transportation Long Ago/Today or Past/Present sort.There are 6 colored pictures of different modes of transportation. There is a flip book for students to complete to show their sorting.
- Columbus' Journey - A colored and black and white option showing Columbus' route to the new world. There is also a page that students can draw the route themselves.
- Ways to show passages of time - poster with a calendar, watch, and clock.
- Word wall cards - there are 12 Columbus themed cards and all words on a colored and black and white paper for students to reference when writing about Columbus.
- Non-fiction book with real photographs
- Non-fiction book with pictures that can be colored by students
- Writing response "I want to travel to..."
- Columbus Day coloring page.
Check out the preview to get a better look.
Hope you and your students love these activities,
Looking for a super social studies deal?!?
Social Studies Growing Bundle 50% off
Here are other social studies mini-units that I've created:
Sharing is Caring - A Social Studies Mini Unit on Taking Turns and Sharing
National Symbols - A Social Studies Mini Unit
Geographic Awareness Using Nursery Rhymes - A Social Studies Mini Unit