Teach your students about Christopher Columbus in a meaningful way this year!
Our lesson plans will guide you step by step through a close read about Christopher Columbus, which will help your students gain a deeper understanding of the historical events that took place around 1492. This pack also covers multiple ELA Common Core State Standards (Reading Informational Text, Speaking and Listening, and Writing)!
During this close reading lesson, the class will:
- Read and reread a text about Christopher Columbus (text provided)
- Code the text for details, vocabulary, and confusing parts (example/answer sheet provided)
- Answer and discuss text dependent questions (questions provided)
- Talk about the text with others
- Take notes about Christopher Columbus (note taking sheet provided)
- Sequence and write about events from the text, including adding dialogue to speech bubbles to demonstrating understanding (graphic organizer provided)
Finally, get students up and moving! At the end of the lesson, students will work in groups to synthesize all they have learned about Columbus as they plan, create and perform a “narrated tableau” or freeze-frame narrated scene. (example and simple costumes provided)
No prep- just PRINT and TEACH. Everything you need to make this lesson a success is provided for you!
This packet includes:
- Detailed, Step-by-Step Close Reading Lesson Plans
- Text about Christopher Columbus (two printable options- single page or multi-page)
- Text Dependent Questions
- Text Coding Examples and Answer Sheets
- 3 Close Reading Anchor Charts (Text Coding, Turn and Talk, Figuring out Unknown Vocabulary Words)
- Note Taking Graphic Organizer
- Sequencing Graphic Organizer
- Narrated Tableau Instructions, Planning Sheet, Example and Simple Costumes
This Christopher Columbus lesson isn't like anything out there. It is engaging and educational. You won't be disappointed and your students will love it!
Do you find yourself asking, “What is Close Reading?” Visit the Core Coaches blog post
to find out more!
Don't worry! We also have a Christopher Columbus Close Read and Interactive Drama
for grades 4-6!
We would love to hear from you! Please remember to earn your free TpT credit by leaving feedback when you purchase!
Follow us to get updates on our newest products!
@thecorecoaches on Instagram
@Core_Coaches on Twitter
The Core Coaches on Facebook
The Core Coaches on Pinterest
For helpful tips, hints, and classroom strategies check out our blog!
The Core Coaches Blog