These lesson plans will guide you step by step through a close read about Christopher Columbus, which will help your students gain a deeper understanding of the historical events that took place around 1492. This pack covers multiple ELA Core Standards including Reading Informational Text, Speaking and Listening, and Writing!
No prep just PRINT and TEACH. Everything you need to make this lesson a success is provided for you!
During this close reading lesson, the class will:
- Read and reread a text about Christopher Columbus (text included)
- Code the text for details, vocabulary, and confusing parts (example/answer sheet included)
- Answer and discuss text dependent questions (questions included)
- Talk about the text with others
- Take notes about Christopher Columbus (note taking sheet included)
- Sequence and write about events from the text, including adding dialogue to speech bubbles to demonstrating understanding (graphic organizer included)
- Finally, get students up and moving! At the end of the lesson, students will work in groups to synthesize all they have learned about Columbus as they plan, create and perform a “narrated tableau” or freeze-frame narrated scene. (example and simple costumes provided)
Teach your students about Christopher Columbus in a meaningful way this year!
This packet includes:
- Detailed, Step-by-Step Close Reading Lesson Plans
- Text about Christopher Columbus (two printable options- single page or multi-page)
- Text Dependent Questions
- Text Coding Examples and Answer Sheets
- 3 Close Reading Anchor Charts (Text Coding, Turn and Talk, Figuring out Unknown Vocabulary Words)
- Note Taking Graphic Organizer
- Sequencing Graphic Organizer
- Narrated Tableau Instructions, Planning Sheet, Example and Simple Costumes
Do you find yourself asking, “What is Close Reading?” Visit the Core Coaches blog post
to find out more!
Do you teach upper grades? We also have a Christopher Columbus Close Read and Interactive Drama
for grades 4-6!
We would love to hear from you! Please remember to earn your free TpT credit by leaving feedback when you purchase!
Follow us to get updates on our newest products!
@thecorecoaches on Instagram
@Core_Coaches on Twitter
The Core Coaches on Facebook
The Core Coaches on Pinterest
For helpful tips, hints, and classroom strategies check out our blog!
The Core Coaches Blog